Menu
lowlyworm
Dialled in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

advantages of having Virgin television

I have Virgin broadband and phone and I'm thinking of  having Virgin  television. Please could you tell me some of the advantages to having Virgin television?   Thank you

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: advantages of having Virgin television

I'm not sure whether you're asking for financial advantages or technical advantages?

If you have other existing Virgin Media services, then there'll evidently be bundle discounts by also adding Virgin TV. But beyond that, I'm not sure what you're asking... it also depends what existing TV services you have, and what extra you might be looking for?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
lowlyworm
Dialled in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply .At the moment I have Freeview television. I am wondering if it is worth paying more to have Virgin.

Can you record programmes with Virgin?

Does a Virgin engineer have to call at the house to install Virgin Television or can it be done through  the existing Wi-Fi box?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ok... Virgin curently have one "primary" TV box, the V6. This box hsa 6 recording tuners, meaning you can record upto 6 programmes simultaneously, or record 5 while watching a sixth. With an internet connection via your Virgin superhub, you can then use various OnDemand services (which includes CatchUp), or numerous streaming apps.

Take a look over the numerous TV packages at https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/tv , in very basic terms the "Mixit" bundle is broadly equivalent to Freeview - you can then upgrade or add-on channels depending on your preferences, or keep it as is.

So far as connections go, a V6 box will require two connections:

1: A co-ax cable fed from a wall socket that will provide your TV signals, if you don't already have one in the location you want the V6 installed, you will need a manned install.

2: A connection to your existing homehub to provide onward connection to the internet. Ideally this is via Ethernet cable, but Powerline adapters or reliable WiFi are also options.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

lowlyworm
Dialled in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much. Your advice is extremely helpful.
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Received via PM from @lowlyworm but posted here for the community's benefit...

"Hello, Thank you very much for your past helpful advice. I got in touch with Virgin but they wanted me to pay an extra £11 a month to add Virgin television to my package. I tried negotiating with them but they would not budge, so I have decided to buy a Freeview HD Recorder. argos.co.uk/product/7608625?clickSR=slp:term:freeview%20recorder%20tv:6:176:2 It says it requires a hmdl socket on the TV and having looked at the back of the television it does have have a socket with hmdl written above it. Do you think this will be alright?. I ask you this because you seem to know about the technology and I am wondering if I have missed something and it will not work with my new hitachi smart television. Once again thank you for your help, I really appreciate it."

Response: If the Freeview recorder has an HDMI output, and your TV has a spare HDMI input, then the two can be connected. The box you've linked to has an internal tuner, one functional difference I can see is that your Virgin box has a 21day TV guide (7days back, 14days forward), this recorder only claims an 8 day one (1 back, 7 forward I'd guess). Just means you can't set recordings so far in advance.

That box is £129, VM offering you £11/month extra equates to £132/year. If there were no charges for the box install, then £3 extra over the year for VM's functionality seems like an excellent deal to me. But your circumstances may be different.

0 Kudos