Menu
RobbyJ47
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Wrong local News Channel

Hi Everyone - very new to this so apologies if anything is posted incorrectly....

I have recently - two weeks ago - had Virgin broadband and TV installed -  however I my local news channel is showing as Points West which is of little interest to us as we should be receiving West Midlands local news/weather and despite trying to find a solution through the various Virgin Media support areas and telephone calls that were automatically ended - I have ended up going round in circles with no answers to help correct the problem -

Can anyone help please?

Regards

Rob

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wrong local News Channel

The first thing is ignore anything telling you what region you should be in with”off-air” services. The region you receive on Virgin is determined by the cable Headend you are downstream of & the franchise rules governing that area.

There are a few overlap areas where there are additional feeds on 858 (BBC) or 870/871 (ITV), but otherwise you are stuck with what you have. You may also get a different region on 113 (ITV HD) than 103 (ITV SD), but this is an ITV distribution issue & nothing to do with Virgin.

Where are you (nearest town will do)?

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

RobbyJ47
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info - I live in Evesham and have always had West Midlands news through the BBC when either Sky or BT were my broadband suppliers 

Robert

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@RobbyJ47 wrote:

Thanks for the info - I live in Evesham and have always had West Midlands news through the BBC when either Sky or BT were my broadband suppliers 

Robert

Yep! As I suspected. Evesham is downstream of the Gloucester network headend which is in the West franchise region for cable services. The furthest south that West Midlands networks go is Redditch. All Virgin customers in your area will get the same channels as you.

Sky & BT use off-air services which will give you the West Midlands region.

Just to point out that if you go into the settings of the BBC iPlayer app, you can select any region you like & watch it live via the internet.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
RobbyJ47
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks again for the very helpful information - I do wonder why Virgin do not make you aware of this when you are considering their package 🤔 

Robert 

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@RobbyJ47 wrote:

Many thanks again for the very helpful information - I do wonder why Virgin do not make you aware of this when you are considering their package 🤔 

Robert 

Most staff do not have the detailed technical knowledge of how the network was built back in the 1990s or of the franchising system it was built under. I have some of the historic build data & it even confuses me sometimes. Luckily the vast majority of customers sit in the same region on cable as they do on other platforms