Menu
GrahamyB
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Wrong Package

After being a VirginMedia customer for eight years in my previous addrerss I had no hesitations with taking up Virgin again in my new home.

I rang up on the 7th November and ordered the 'Bigger Bundle' package and the polite advisor set everything up and gave me a installation date.

When we got Virgin installed it became clear that we did not have the 'Bigger Bundle' package we requested (which was the TV and Drama Pack) we had been given the TV with the sky cinema pack.

I rang up to explain to the advisor who then changed over the TV packages for me.

I was then very surprised to find on my e-mail that I was being charged to change my package to the one I originally asked for and I was also now being charged £48 a month instead of £38.

I then rang up this morning to explain what has happened and have now been told that I cannot have the package I originally asked for and I cannot have a refund on the money I have been charged for changing the package to the one I had wanted. I was also told I must have been confused when I took out the package! The advisor I spoke to this morning has given me £10 credit for six months but then I have to pay the £48 a month.

I just want to know why I can't have the package that originally asked for.

0 Kudos
Andruser
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wrong Package

There's no quick fix, but there is a solution to your problem.

Look up VM's Privacy Policy, and make a Subject Data Access Request.  This will include all call recordings.  If they "can't find" the relevant call recordings, then they are on a very sticky wicket because there's no provable basis for you even being in contract, so you can declare the deal they've offered you null and void.  More likely you will get the recordings, go through, see what was actually said and originally agreed.  If this supports your recollection (which it probably does, the sales agents often agree to anything for a quick sale, regardless of what VM plan to deliver) then it is binding on VM, under the Consumer Rights Act, which states that verbal information is binding where a consumer relies upon it when entering into a contract for services.

Your next step is to raise a formal complaint to VM under their Complaints Policy, stating that you are not satisfied with the short term discount that they have proposed, requesting that they stand by the original binding contract, quoting both your original call and the Consumer Rights Act, and asking for (say) £40 compensation for the hassle.  State that if they do not agree to honour the agreed contract, you would like a deadlock letter in order to escalate to CISAS (the telecoms arbitration service).

This on its own might be enough, but unfortunately I would not be surprised if VM reject your complaint, so don't be alarmed if that happens.  If it does, you then escalate to CISAS, and IMPORTANTLY following their customer guidance.  The CISAS service is free for you to use, but costs VM money - several hundred pounds if they contest the case.  If the facts support you, then it is most likely that CISAS will find in your favour, and their conclusions are binding on VM.  Even if CISAS don't support your complaint, VM still have to pay the costs, you pay nothing.

As the people at VM and at CISAS will not have any prior knowledge of your complaint, keep things clear and simple - short, succinct paragraphs or bullet points, specifying what was originally agreed, what then happened, summarising your contacts with the company, and the outcome that you want.

All of this is rather long winded, and if it goes as far as CISAS it is going to take time, but VM can be held to any contract agreed by their sales advisors, whether the company likes it or not.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi GrahamyB,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, I am really sorry to hear you haven't received the package you requested.

I will be more than happy to look into this for you, I will invite you into a private chat, I will send you an invite shortly, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
GrahamyB
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

Just to update on my situation.

I managed to have a sensible conversation with an advisor on this forum. A lot more helpful than anything I have had over the phone!

Although I still can't get the original package I wanted. I have received credit for the extra money I would have had to pay, which in effect is giving me the same price for the package.

Thanks for the help and advice.

0 Kudos