Menu
arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 1 of 73
Flag for a moderator

Will sky sports be HD only from 1 October 2018

Sky sports won't be on SD on satellite from 1 October. Will the same happen for Virgin?  

0 Kudos
japitts
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 73
Flag for a moderator

Re: Will sky sports be HD only from 1 October 2018

Are you sure about SD not being available on Sky? All the articles I've seen, say there will be no extra charge for HD - but nowhere have I seen specifically "no more SD channels".

Happy to be corrrected...

0 Kudos
annorax
Superfast
Message 3 of 73
Flag for a moderator

@japitts wrote:

Are you sure about SD not being available on Sky? All the articles I've seen, say there will be no extra charge for HD - but nowhere have I seen specifically "no more SD channels".

I found this. If this is correct, the price for Sky Sports on VM may go up as well.

Sky Sports backdoor price hike alert as all channels go HD

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 73
Flag for a moderator

@annorax wrote:

@japitts wrote:

I found this. If this is correct, the price for Sky Sports on VM may go up as well.

From the above article:

"I watch Sky Sports on another provider – am I affected?

Sky says that customers who get Sky Sports through an external provider will not see their prices go up as a result of the changes.

But if you want to know if your service will be upgraded to HD, it says you'll have to go to your provider directly."

The wholesale deal with Virgin is unlikely to change immediately. VM customers still do not have the option to select individual Sky Sports channels they want to watch, which was bought in for Sky customers sometime ago.

Whether the SD channels are being switched off is another matter. Sky's SD channels on VM are currently satellite rebroadcasts, but the HD versions are fibre fed.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

annorax
Superfast
Message 5 of 73
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

@annorax wrote:

@japitts wrote:

From the above article:

Sky says that customers who get Sky Sports through an external provider will not see their prices go up as a result of the changes.

But if you want to know if your service will be upgraded to HD, it says you'll have to go to your provider directly."

The wholesale deal with Virgin is unlikely to change immediately. VM customers still do not have the option to select individual Sky Sports channels they want to watch, which was bought in for Sky customers sometime ago.

Whether the SD channels are being switched off is another matter. Sky's SD channels on VM are currently satellite rebroadcasts, but the HD versions are fibre fed.

Did I say Sky were going to pass on the cost. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 73
Flag for a moderator

@annorax wrote:

@nodrogd wrote:

@annorax wrote:

@japitts wrote:

From the above article:

No, but you implied it.

If they do it won't happen until the wholesale deal comes up for renewal. As VM have agreed a deal for the coming year it wont happen anytime soon.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
annorax
Superfast
Message 7 of 73
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

@annorax wrote:

@nodrogd wrote:

@annorax wrote:

@japitts wrote:

From the above article:

No, but you implied it.

If they do it won't happen until the wholesale deal comes up for renewal. As VM have agreed a deal for the coming year it wont happen anytime soon.

Either way Sky will pass on the cost which won't bother me as I refuse to give VM money for their tv service.

0 Kudos
av-115
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 73
Flag for a moderator

"HD as standard" doesn't necessarily mean the SD channels will be pulled from the satellite platform. They did this years ago with Sky Cinema, and the SD variants of the channels are still there in Sky's EPG, albeit down in the 800 range. So I doubt it will happen on Virgin Media either at least until the wholesale agreement comes up for renewal.

There is also the issue of only the SD Sky Sports channels being available on V HD & V+ HD boxes after Virgin removed the HD variants earlier this year (not due to technical reasons, might I add - but 6 months notice was given before this happened) and it would surprise me if they were to remove channels that these customers subscribe to at such short notice.

--------------------------
TV: XL TV (V6 & V+ HD)
Broadband: VIVID 200
Phone: Talk Unlimited
arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 9 of 73
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Can some from virgin answer the question.

Will sky sports be HD only from 1 October 2018?

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 73
Flag for a moderator

@arrgee1991 wrote:

Can some from virgin answer the question.

Will sky sports be HD only from 1 October 2018?

Haven't seen any posts from VM customers still with V, V+ or VHD boxes that would lose these channels completely on October 1st if SD was switched off. Sky are also stating that their own customers can still receive the channels "on an SD only TV" after this date, so I am assuming as with Sky Cinema that the HD/SD divide is being scrapped, not the channels themselves.

Use Kudos to say thanks