Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

When your V6 box dies - some observations

Some months ago my V6 died, I'm pretty sure due to a dead hard drive. Anyhow, unwilling to take a day off work for an engineer, and even more unwilling to pay £100 for one to be sent out in the post, I've been living without for a while.

To my surprise, it turns out it IS possible to cope!

Although many channels are missing from the pretty appalling webtv app, it's still functional, although the picture quality is frankly grim, and the V6's perennial problems with subtitles are there in spades.

Most popular sites have their own players which Virgins only USP, speed, brings into their own. For a pretty nominal fee you can even get adverts removed on ITV for instance. I'm not on Netflix, but imagine that I could combine it with Amazon and Eurosport for less than the amount over base that I'm currently paying for tv (start at £45, before you know it, it's £61.50, cheers Mr. Branson!). Although the program selection is patchy, it's adequate and the quality is always better than Virgins own, esp. on iPlayer. I occasionally consider dropping my TV package completely and 'living off the land' so to speak.

Eventually I suppose I'll just get my V6 box replaced and forget all this nonsense, but losing that comfort zone has at least led me to some interesting off-track explorations. You should try it sometime!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: When your V6 box dies - some observations

replacement tivo is free. it doesn't need an engineer

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I suggest you put the hours into phoning call centres and stamping around Virgin shops to back that up!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

you can suggest anything. As I have nothing to do with Virgin media you are wasting your time 🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

As above, you dont buy a V6 , you rent it. Anything short of deliberate damage to it is covered and replacement is FOC.

The only thing I can think of is you are on a legacy package and its a case of "pooter says no".

Have you spoken to retentions ?

Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Most popular sites have their own players which Virgins only USP, speed, brings into their own. For a pretty nominal fee you can even get adverts removed on ITV for instance. I'm not on Netflix, but imagine that I could combine it with Amazon and Eurosport for less than the amount over base that I'm currently paying for tv (start at £45, before you know it, it's £61.50, cheers Mr. Branson!)

And yet again Richard Branson gets the blame for something that has nothing to do with him 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@praxis wrote:

Most popular sites have their own players which Virgins only USP, speed, brings into their own. For a pretty nominal fee you can even get adverts removed on ITV for instance. I'm not on Netflix, but imagine that I could combine it with Amazon and Eurosport for less than the amount over base that I'm currently paying for tv (start at £45, before you know it, it's £61.50, cheers Mr. Branson!)

And yet again Richard Branson gets the blame for something that has nothing to do with him 😞

He dont care. He is too busy on his private island entertaining the stars.

I just let those go by the board these days. If you cant work out the Virgin brand is licensed, well, what's the point in us educating you? LOL