Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

What happens when my TV contract ends?

I did a questionnaire on the virgin media website as I was looking for a deal for a TV box to watch TV in a spare room. Broadband is covered by Vodafone. Sky plus hd box is in the living room. Virgin Media says Maxit TV is best for me but it didn’t specify what box it would be that I’d get. And also whether I’d need an engineer to sort Ariel cables out etc. It also says £53 a month for a year. After the years over, do I keep the box or do I have to renew my contract because £53 a month for only free channels which is what I want is pretty expensive if it was for however long I want to keep the box. Sky is £22 a month so that’s a big difference l. I hope someone can provide me with the information I need.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: What happens when my TV contract ends?

As I understand things VM now only W1supply the V6 box to new customers, provided they also have a VM broadband account. So based on your post you would need to sign up to a VM broadband account.

With a VM contact you only ever rent the equipment, so no, if you end the contact you have to send the TV box and any other VM equipment back.

The new VM TV box would also need a connection to a VM coax terminal as well as a connection to the VM broadband account.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

So i am expected to pay 53 pound a month even though that’s almost now tv passes and sky tv deal put together? I just want to use their box for free channels?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

There are no free channels with Virgin, you have to pay to access everything. The upkeep of the cable network doesn't pay for itself.

If you don't want to pay a monthly fee then use Freeview.

Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Last time I checked the only Free Tv channels with VM were BBC 1 & 2 ITV 1 & Ch4 and you cannot record any of them so if you are looking for Freeview channels Tv aerial connection is your better option as VM will also charge you monthly payment for the box.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

If you have Sky already, why not just get a Freesat receiver. It will use the same dish as Sky, & if you have Sky + you more than likely will already have a quad LNB on your dish with 2 spare outlets for another box. Freeview is constantly being squeezed out of frequencies to expand mobile coverage, so may be losing channels soon. The only disadvantage to Freesat is the lack of Channel 4HD, but on some boxes this can be manually tuned. As with Freeview, once you buy the box there are no other charges.

VIP pack with VIVID 350. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I didn’t realise you could do that. If I asked sky if they could just supply another box for another room from my mums sky account, would they charge for it? I was going to pay for another one myself. But if I can connect another one to the dish free of charge then I could just do that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi that's not what you have been advised, anything from Sky or Virgin you will pay for including extra boxes, nodrogd has surrgested Freesat which is a system you buy outright yourself but will run from your sky dish independently from Sky.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

That makes a lot more sense, but I’d want to put the freesat receiver in another room which only has an old virgin media outdoor Ariel thing. I used to use that for my ntl box. I don’t know if that connects to the dish as well. It’s all very confusing. As you can see, I don’t have a lot of knowledge on any of this. There are two cables that go into something where the sky box is, I think we used them when we also had a tivo box. Would I have to take that out and move them to cables into the Ariel box thing in the other room to connect them?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi the virgin ntl box will be of no use, you will require a roof Ariel to plug into the TV for freeview, or you can also access it via Freesat as we have said via your sky dish, in any case I suspect you will need someone to come and install whatever you decide on.Regards Micky
0 Kudos