Menu
purpleivan
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

What are the options to get Sky F1 HD channel

I signed up for VM a month ago, with the most important part being the broadband connection, but also important was to get the Sky F1 channel, which I assumed would be in HD. Actually I assumed all channels would be in HD, as well... how long has HD been the standard for TV now.

When I talked to sales at VM to sign up for a TV and internet bundle, I was told that I would get "all the Sky Sports channels".

However since signing up I've found out that Virgin has a crazy mix of SD and HD channels with different bundles. I signed up with the Bigger Oomph + Sports bundle (plus mobile) and thought I'd be getting the F1 channel in HD, but I only see the SD channel in the Guide. Having poked around this forum, I've seen mention (although from early last year) of and "HD supplement" needing to be paid, in order to get the proper version of the channel.

So my question is, what are the bundles or options that unlock the Sky F1 HD channel?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: What are the options to get Sky F1 HD channel

@purpleivan wrote:

Having poked around this forum, I've seen mention (although from early last year) of and "HD supplement" needing to be paid, in order to get the proper version of the channel.

So my question is, what are the bundles or options that unlock the Sky F1 HD channel?

You've pretty well nailed the issue in your first paragraph. Sky Sports is only SD by standard, and the HD channels are an extra £7/month

There've been quite a few threads when some of these bundles first came out of people who argued that they were sold these channels in HD, and many got them included for a period of time. I'd like to think that VM's marketing sorts have finally corrected all their web-pages to cover this,

As best I can tell from a quick look at the relevant sales pages on the VM website, all references to Sky Sports HD being included, have been removed. The TV section of the T&C does specifically mention this, but unfortunately... Sky channels have always operated this way on VM - that unless HD is specifically mentioned, you only get SD.

Do you have a copy of the original marketing material you signed upwith? Or any contract documentation that specifically mentions "Sky Sports HD". VM's official line on this could well be, that "all Sky Sports channels" & "all Sky Sports channels in HD" are two different claims.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

purpleivan
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately I don't have documentation of the details of the order, as I made it by phone. I initially tried to set it up through the website, but as I recently moved back to the UK after a number of years living in Norway, I wasn't able to provide all the information the web form required, so called instead.

When I called I originally wanted to sign up for the Bigger Bundle + Sports, but as I was also interested in getting a mobile SIM contract. I was offered Bigger Oomph + Sports + Sim for the same price, which I was pretty happy with. I asked while on the call if this include the F1 channel, to which the reply was that it included all the Sky Sports channels. Of course I didn't realise that VM splits them into SD and HD version (as I didn't realise SD versions of them existed), with HD channels requiring an additional payment, so thought I'd be getting F1 HD.

A couple of other things that confused matters regarding sports channels in HD. Firstly that I don't see the HD upgrade in the See all Upgrades and Offers part of My Virgin Media. Secondly, the info button for my TV package (Maxit TV) says "TV doesn't get much better than this. You're on our top TV tier!"... except of course that half the Sports channels are in SD.

What's gauling is that I'm not interested in the other channels, as I watch streamed or recording programmes on my Shield TV box and I'd actually be happier if VM swapped all my 200+ channels for just the Sky F1 HD channel (well, maybe with a couple of news channels as well). I don't know if there's a package that is closer to what I want at the same kind of price (basic + sports + HD), or if it's possible to switch to that.

I'm not looking to cut what I pay to Virgin, just find a package (if I can switch to it, as I only signed up a month ago) at the same price, which carries the F1 HD channel, even if I doesn't include others I have now have.

If I have to pay the additional £7/month for the HD Sports channels, is this something that can be easily moved in and out of (to avoid paying it in the off season), or is it likely to be something signed up to for 18 months.

Final point... VM really needs to clarify their various "Bigger" and "Oomph" packages, especially regarding premium channels, so it's more obvious from the outset what they offer. Finding out that you're premium channels package ships with SD rather than HD versions of some (would be less confusing if all the Sports channels we SD) of the premium channels, shouldn't require a trip to the T&C's 🙂

Thanks for the info though Jappitts.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@purpleivan wrote:

What's gauling is that I'm not interested in the other channels, as I watch streamed or recording programmes on my Shield TV box and I'd actually be happier if VM swapped all my 200+ channels for just the Sky F1 HD channel (well, maybe with a couple of news channels as well). I don't know if there's a package that is closer to what I want at the same kind of price (basic + sports + HD), or if it's possible to switch to that.

Extremely unlikely. You've now gone past the 14day cooling off period by the sounds, so will be bound to your 18month term. You could try calling VM and discussing your bundle, but I don't imagine you'll get very far unless you've got some evidence to back up your "I was mis-sold" argument.

You can view the TV channel guide which lists which the packages... at the bottom of this page..

I sympathise, but by means of explanation... this is how it's been with Sky & their HD channels as long as I can remember.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
purpleivan
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I tried to sort this out this weekend, but no luck.

I sent a message to the text based support number (07533 051809) yesterday and they got back in touch this morning. However after I explained what I wanted information on, I was told that as my package was non standard (I have a SIM added to Bigger Oomph + Sports) I'd need to call 0345 4541111 to change it.

That was OK, if annoying. So I called 0345 4541111 and after waiting 30 minutes to talk to an agent, it was confirmed that I could add the HD channels for £7/month, but that I should probably talk to the Ultimate Oomph team, to see if switching to that was possible, as it would be a better deal.

Great...fingers crossed that I'd be able to switch to that at the advertised price.

The agent told me they'd put me through to the "Ultimate Oomph team", I waited for a few minutes for someone that team to answer, only to hear a message saying "our call center is now closed" (according the the website it should be open until 6pm) and the call was cut off.

So in total a waste of about 40 minutes (text and call time) and so far I don't have an answer to the big question, that being how much a switch to the Ultimate Oomph package would cost.

Virgin Media really needs to have a more joined up system for handling customer subscriptions, because...

• A customer being signed up for a slightly non standard package (one suggested by a VM sales agent) shouldn't lock that customer out of package upgrading on the website, or via text support
  • Why is there a separate "Oomph team" that has to be spoken to for anything regarding that package.

I'm just going to leave my package as it is for now, as I don't really need the F1 HD channel until winter testing comes along in March, so no point in paying extra until then.

0 Kudos