Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Virgin engineer cut through aerial cable

Hi everyone... just joined the forum today, hoping someone can advise me... 

I have broadband, phone and TV with Virgin, but in trying to cut down on my expenses, I decided to just use Freeview for TV and cancel that TV portion of my Virgin services.   When i tried plugging my telly into the aerial (communal rooftop aerial on a block of flats), i got no signal.  I am a council tenant, so i called property repairs and the council sent a contractor out to look at it.

This contractor/aerial engineer says that when the Virgin engineer installed my services, he cut through the cable for the communal aerial, and that if i want it fixed, i will have to pay for it or Virgin will have to pay for it.... either way, the council will not pay for it.

I called Virgin today and explained the issue 3 times to the contact centre guy, but i could tell he had no idea what I was saying.. the questions he was asking me were irrelevant to the issue.  He had me on hold for a long time, then just came back to say he has reported it to the technical team and they will come back to me.  I feel pretty certain i've just been fobbed off and i will never hear from anyone... the guy just wanted to get rid of me, probably.

Has anyone seen this happen before?  If so, how did it get resolved?  I frankly cannot see Virgin agreeing to pay for this.  If I have to pay it myself, do you have any idea how much it will cost?  

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin engineer cut through aerial cable

Hi this is very difficult one you are right virgin will not take any responsibly, for this as there is no proof, also how does the man from the council no that virgin was responsible, is it just you affected or are your neighbours also involved, if you have service charges included in your rent the council are liable to provide a service including TV off a communal aerial, as to costs you could contact an aerial company to get an idea, it may depend on Height and distance.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply, Micky.

The aerial repair guy that the council sent over, happened to be the same guy who had originally done all the wiring for the block when they switched to digital aerial from analogue (before i moved in), and he said 'these are the cables i laid, and they've been cut'. So he's really just assuming (but probably correctly) that Virgin had done it.

It's just me affected, as it's just the cable from my flat to the aerial that's been cut. There's nothing in my tenancy contract about this, but i would guess that by getting Virgin involved, I've probably invalidated whatever 'right' I might have had to hook up to the aerial.

I guess i will phone the aerial place tomorrow and ask about cost.  I am just so annoyed about the whole thing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Sky installers have also been known to do this. Rather than drilling new holes in walls they just assume the existing cables will not be used & replace them with theirs.

The onus is on the customer to check the work & only sign it off if they are happy.

As you have only noticed this way way after the event, you will likely get nowhere with Virgin on the compensation side

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks