Menu
zz9alfa
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin (TiVo) Smartcard in the back of a Freesat Smart TV?

Hello everyone, can anyone tell me whether my Virgin smartcard out on my TiVo will work in a 'standalone' smart TV with its smartcard slot (which is in a separate room and nothing to do with the  TiVo box which I don't use) that is connected to "Freesat" only? On my Freesat TV I can see a dedicated "Virgin" channels, will this enable me to access Virgin Media through Freesat?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Colin

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin (TiVo) Smartcard in the back of a Freesat Smart TV?

Hello

The smartcard from your Tivo box will only work on the Tivo box.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

campo7
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi

No this will not work. 

The physical smart cards no longer serve a purpose at all. 

All Virgin TV boxes generate a virtual smart card when activated. 

thanks

Here to help! I'm a manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@zz9alfa wrote:

Hello everyone, can anyone tell me whether my Virgin smartcard out on my TiVo will work in a 'standalone' smart TV with its smartcard slot (which is in a separate room and nothing to do with the  TiVo box which I don't use) that is connected to "Freesat" only? On my Freesat TV I can see a dedicated "Virgin" channels, will this enable me to access Virgin Media through Freesat?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Colin

Virgin is Cable TV. The clue is in the name. They pick up some satellite channels from a central point on the network & put them through their cable system, but otherwise they have nothing in common with Satellite distribution.

1) Virgin no longer use viewing cards. The CAM in the box uses a direct connection to Virgins servers to help prevent fraud.

2) Even if they were still in use, you would not be able to use a viewing card from one platform on another.

3) Viewing card/CAM slots on TVs are for Freeview DVB-T services (Terrestrial) & not for Freesat DVB-S (Satellite). The only kit with these in are Sky boxes for which you can only use a valid Sky viewing card.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

zz9alfa
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the information, very informative.

Regards, Colin

0 Kudos