Menu
Tabitha9
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Very bad pixelation and TV picture breaking up

Hi, I need help to resolve the extremely poor picture quality I've been getting for a long time.  I have been getting pixilation and the picture regularly breaking up for the past couple of years and whenever I have phoned there has been no resolution.  Someone came to the house over a year ago and did his best but was unable to fix it.  He said an outside team would come and look at the problem outside our house and that no-one had to be at home for this, and we should allow 10 days for it to be resolved - but it never improved.  When I called Virgin on another occasion about the same issue I was told there was no record of the outside team being called.  The last time I called Virgin about this issue, I was told that an HDMI cable would be sent to us, but that did not make any difference either.  The picture quality over the past few weeks at peak times has deteriorated even further and many programmes are now completely unwatchable - this affects live TV as well as recordings and now all channels seem to be affected.  Picture quality during the day is usually good, but that's not when we watch television.  Neighbours do not seem to have this problem.  Your help would be appreciated because it is getting very stressful trying to watch television.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very bad pixelation and TV picture breaking up

Pixellation and picture breakup, assuming you've restarted your box once, are purely a symptom of a fault somewhere that's causing poor TV signal. From the sounds of it, you either have a faulty box, or the drop cable that carries your signals from the streetcab, has a problem somewhere. Why that's not been progressed, that's curious - VM won't always pursue single user faults if that single user isn't pushing them to. Had you proven your HDMI cable as faulty, in order for VM to offer to replace it?

Ideally the best way of reporting this is to call VM (150 or 0345 4541111) and follow the faults process. They should run some remote diagnostics, and then decide whether an engineer visit or box swap is the solution. Forum staff do work their way through posts on here, but it can take a few days.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tabitha9
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your helpful points.  There didn't seem to be any reason why VM decided to send us a new HDMI cable, and it made no difference.  A new problem has arisen on a few recorded programmes in the last few days, with the picture freezing, starting again, freezing again, and so on. I am hoping to hear from the online team because phoning 150 in the past has not resolved the problems with the picture.

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the post Tabitha9 and welcome to our community.

Can we please confirm if you've been able to rectify this since your post?

If not, have you been able to try an alternative HDMI port of the TV? 

Please also try the following steps: Home> Help&Settings> Settings> Network> Connect to Virgin Media Service Now

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
Tabitha9
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for your message, Emily.  The pixilation and the TV picture breaking up continues as it has been doing for the past couple of years.  This happens most often at peak times. We have already tried an alternative HDMI port which did not help as well as trying the new HDMI cable sent by Virgin. I have now followed the steps you mentioned in your message.  When I took the steps Network/View/Network Status/Network Diagnostics it said "The port configuration test failed". 

Does this help you in any way to determine what the problem could be?  Your help would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The port configuration test often fails on perfectly working systems, and is nothing to worry about.

If you have pixellation problems on your TV which has persisted this long, then you either need an engineer visit or replacement box - VM can determine which one by some remote tests.

Anything else is just delaying the inevitable.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Tabitha9
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much for your points and for letting me know that the port configuration test failure is not connected with the ongoing pixellation problem.  I am sure you are right that the problem is either a fault with the box or that an engineer is required.  However, when an engineer came out a year ago he tried everything he could think of but was still unable to resolve the issue.  As phone calls to Virgin have not led to a resolution, I am hoping that Emily G or another member of the Virgin team might have the solution as this has been a problem for such a long time!

0 Kudos
Tabitha9
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very bad pixelation and TV picture breaking up: VIRGIN TEAM - PLEASE CAN YOU RESOLVE THIS?

Hi Emily G or Virgin Team,

I have followed the steps outlined as requested by Emily G and replied so I am trying again as I have heard nothing further from Emily G or the VM team.  I first raised this problem on this forum a month ago.  The pixellation on many (although not all) peak time programmes has continued for a couple of years but has now deteriorated and has become even worse over the past few months.  To give a few random examples:

Last week 3 recorded programmes froze and 'stuttered' repeatedly making them completely unwatchable.

Andrew Marr programme today - very bad pixellation throughout (the sound quality is always affected when the picture breaks up).

Who Do You think You Are last week - Jodie Whittaker - extreme pixellation & freezing so completely unwatchable.

Channel 4 news - 24/10/20 - shocking picture, virtually unwatchable.

Sony Movies film - The Game - appalling picture with extreme pixellation & picture continually breaking up - had to delete unwatched

Reporting Scotland 23/10/20 - completely unwatchable.

Coronation Street and Eastenders often affected by pixellation - sometimes to the extent that they are unwatchable.

Please can you sort this out once and for all, Virgin Media - how can this possibly be considered an acceptable level of service?  As other members of the forum have pointed out, this problem must mean that either the box is faulty or that an engineer is required.  As we have had an engineer before, maybe a supervisor is now required.  I have not wanted to phone the 150 number again because I felt I was just being fobbed off in the past. 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Very bad pixelation and TV picture breaking up: VIRGIN TEAM - PLEASE CAN YOU RESOLVE THIS?

Hi Tabitha9,

Recorded programs freezing and pixellating seems to suggest a box fault.probably the hard drive.

The pixellation on the various channels BBC, ITV and Sony Movies are all on different frequencies and don't seem related so that seems like various signal errors. If all  your cables, especially the white coaxial are snug, tight and untwisted that would suggest an engineer is needed again.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tabitha9
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much for your advice, Dave.  Everything is definitely all snug and tight but I will certainly check the white coaxial cable and the other cables to see if they are twisted in any way and see if that makes any difference.

Many thanks again to you and everyone else for their help - greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos