Menu
GarethF
Rising star
Message 11 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM removes SD versions of BBC channels

@Rillington wrote:

My box also said that they were still planned to record but VM has removed the channel that they were set to record from - BBC4 in standard definition. Therefore, the programmes will not record unless you tell the box to record them from BBC4 HD.

Nonsense. Not a single failed recording here from the old SD channel. They all migrated to the HD service.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 12 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@GarethF wrote:

@Rillington wrote:

My box also said that they were still planned to record but VM has removed the channel that they were set to record from - BBC4 in standard definition. Therefore, the programmes will not record unless you tell the box to record them from BBC4 HD.

Nonsense. Not a single failed recording here from the old SD channel. They all migrated to the HD service.

Sounds like the tech people have been doing some tinkering, as this has never happened before. Its also been reported that Favourate channels have also migrated to the new positions, which has never happened before.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 13 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@japitts wrote:

Since the MPEG4 changes, the size differential really isn't as significant anymore. If you genuinely are seeing that much of a difference, then please post specific examples - but I'm not sure you'll be able to.

Comparing two recent rugby games as sport tends to consume most space

5.91GB SD Premier Sports 2 3h 20m  (1.77GB/hour)

10.16GB HD Premier Sports 2h 35m   (3.93GB/hour)

Looking at other transmissions, I see a ballpark 1.5GB/hour for SD and 4GB/hour for HD

Weirdly for Sky SD 

12.07GB  Sky Sports PL SD 3h 35m (3.36GB/hour)  

Which seems to mean I record an SD broadcast with HD storage!!!   

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Super solver
Message 14 of 28
Flag for a moderator

did a little test with Sky Sports News recording same programme for 36 minutes

SD 0.95GB

HD 1.84GB 

So about twice the space used for HD recordings.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 15 of 28
Flag for a moderator

As bitrates do vary from channel to channel you have to treat a few examples with caution.

Furthermore, I think that there are still some old boxes which support only MPEG-2. Once they've been replaced VM can then apply MPEG-4 compression to SD content as well as the current HD.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
japitts
Super solver
Message 16 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@arrgee1991 wrote:

did a little test with Sky Sports News recording same programme for 36 minutes

SD 0.95GB

HD 1.84GB 

So about twice the space used for HD recordings.

I did a similar test with ITV, C4 & C5 earlier too. Roughly speaking - as you say - about twice the size.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 17 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

As bitrates do vary from channel to channel you have to treat a few examples with caution.

Furthermore, I think that there are still some old boxes which support only MPEG-2. Once they've been replaced VM can then apply MPEG-4 compression to SD content as well as the current HD.

All current active boxes are MPEG4 compatible, and I'm pretty sure the SD channels have already been moving over to MPEG4
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
kevino81
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Good good, now the for the rest of the channels.   Get all the SD channels the hell outta here.

Rillington
On our wavelength
Message 19 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@japitts wrote:

@Rillington wrote:
The BBC is still broadcasting channels in standard definition, but VM has chosen to take a business decision to remove them without considering the implications, especially for those who have the basic Tivo box. A HD recording requires at least 5x the space as a SD recording, therefore making HD recording unrealistic for those customers as a one-hour programme takes up several percent of the available recording space.

I wouldn't be so sure about the space differences if I were you. You might want to check the file sizes by going to a recording you want to check, pressing "info" and scrolling down.

Since the MPEG4 changes, the size differential really isn't as significant anymore. If you genuinely are seeing that much of a difference, then please post specific examples - but I'm not sure you'll be able to.

I wasn't aware that i could check the amount of space a recording takes up until I read your post so I checked and the one HD recording that I have against a programme of the same length recorded in sd. They were recorded from different channels and on different days but the hd recording took up just under three times the amount of space compared to the sd recording.

I came to the 1 in 5 radio conclusion for two reasons. First, that hd recording was a 90 minute programme and the percentage available on the stb decreased by 3% as opposed to generally being able to record at least 2 one-hour programmes in sd before the percentage space available falls by a single percentage point; and from CS telling me that there is space for 250 hours of recordings in sd but only 50 hours in hd on the standard Tivo box although I've also been told by CS that there's space for 125 hours of HD recordings. I should record another programme in hd, ideally from BBC4, and see how much space that uses to get a better guide as to what the ratio tends to be especially given the MPEG4 changes that you and Ben have made reference to.

0 Kudos
kevino81
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Well done Virgin.

Keep pulling the SD channels and soon they will be a thing of the past.    No need for them these days.

0 Kudos