Menu
Rillington
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 28
Flag for a moderator

VM removes SD versions of BBC channels

I think it is important to point out that, unless I have missed something, VM has taken the business decision to remove the standard definition versions of BBC4, BBC News, CBBC and CBeebies. Therefore, any planned recordings will not record. This is not a swap as VM would have us believe.

People might say what's the problem? The problem is that a HD recording requires at least five times the space of a SD recording and for those like myself with the most basic Tivo box, a single hour documentary takes up several percent of the harddrive. If any of this is wrong then please correct me.

Virgin Media Staff
Virgin Media Staff
Message 2 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM removes SD versions of BBC channels

All my SD recordings are still planned on the newly promoted HD channel and all my HD planned recordings moved to the new position, all went seamlessly here. I’m delighted

Rillington
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 28
Flag for a moderator

My box also said that they were still planned to record but VM has removed the channel that they were set to record from - BBC4 in standard definition. Therefore, the programmes will not record unless you tell the box to record them from BBC4 HD.

0 Kudos
VMViewer
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 28
Flag for a moderator

You must be using the old Series LInk then, rather than the new Series Link + which is far superior.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 28
Flag for a moderator

It’s not so much Virgin removing the SD channels as the channel owners wanting to save money. On other platforms there are still SD only boxes. All these are now removed from the Virgin platform.

Sky has now relegated all the SD channels to the back of their EPG (from channel 800) & it won’t be long before they go the same way as Virgin.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Rillington
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 28
Flag for a moderator

I inputted the programmes manually and after the removal of BBC4, the box said exactly the same as Gareth, that the programmes will record, but from BBC4 and not BBC4 HD. Due to BBC4 being removed, the programmes will not record unless they are programmes to record from BBC4 HD.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 28
Flag for a moderator

@Rillington wrote:
I inputted the programmes manually and after the removal of BBC4, the box said exactly the same as Gareth, that the programmes will record, but from BBC4 and not BBC4 HD. Due to BBC4 being removed, the programmes will not record unless they are programmes to record from BBC4 HD.

Correct. The channel ID on VMs network for BBC4 HD remains the same, so series links set on BBC4 HD will follow it wherever it goes on the EPG. BBC4 is no longer broadcast, & as the box sees it as a different channel to the HD one it has nowhere to go.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Rillington
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 28
Flag for a moderator

The BBC is still broadcasting channels in standard definition, but VM has chosen to take a business decision to remove them without considering the implications, especially for those who have the basic Tivo box. A HD recording requires at least 5x the space as a SD recording, therefore making HD recording unrealistic for those customers as a one-hour programme takes up several percent of the available recording space.
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 28
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Rillington wrote:
The BBC is still broadcasting channels in standard definition, but VM has chosen to take a business decision to remove them without considering the implications, especially for those who have the basic Tivo box. A HD recording requires at least 5x the space as a SD recording, therefore making HD recording unrealistic for those customers as a one-hour programme takes up several percent of the available recording space.

Yes the BBC are still broadcasting SD channels, but not on Virgin. Their contract with Virgin has been changed to remove them, which has also been approved by OFCOM, as they are “prescribed” channels & must be provided on all platforms. All the boxes are now HD so the SD requirement was removed.

Use Kudos to say thanks

japitts
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 28
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Rillington wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure about the space differences if I were you. You might want to check the file sizes by going to a recording you want to check, pressing "info" and scrolling down.

Since the MPEG4 changes, the size differential really isn't as significant anymore. If you genuinely are seeing that much of a difference, then please post specific examples - but I'm not sure you'll be able to.