Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

V6 box broke due to storm?

So along with the rest of the Country we had some bad storms in Birmingham last night. When i went upstairs to watch something on the V6 box in the bedroom, i noticed no picture at all so i restarted the box as per Virgins advice.

Upon restart i noticed my menu had gone into a really pixelated SD quality, not only that but i still had no picture or no sound behind the usual Virgin Menus.

We have 2 more V6 boxes in the house which are working fine, but after multiple restarts the bedroom box just won’t work. Ive checked the picture settings & its capped the video output to 576p when i have a 4K TV.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Cheers

Sam

Tags (5)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Wise owl
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: V6 box broke due to storm?

Hi Sam,

Have you tried removing and reinserting the HDMI cable, or tried using a different HDMI cable?

You could also rescanning the video output format

Help & Settings > Settings > Video Output > Video Output Format > then either Test Formats or Auto Detect (or try both)

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the advice, i have switched the hdmi cables & no difference, after running the video output tests i can get my picture back to HD / 4K, but still no sound. 

Ive contacted Virgin & they cant get communication from the box even though the internet is fine, he received a signal from the other two boxes. 

Hes sending a technician out tomorrow which is good, but if i can id rather fix it myself if anyone has any further advice?

Cheers

Sam 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Wise owl
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi again Sam,

When I had no sound I tested that all the cables were fully inserted and finger tight, however I still had no sound. 

I decided to spring clean ready for a tech visit and untangled my spaghetti junction of cables, unplugging everything including Hub, V6, TV, Switch console, Fire Stick, Computer, X96 box. When I set everything up again the sound worked.

Even if you manage to get the sound back I would still go with the tech visit. especially since VM can't get a signal from the box. Let the tech test everything, possibly resulting in a new box. Also even though your internet is fine, he might find the signal levels aren't as good as they should be and need tweaking.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Great tips 👍🏻 

Will try unplugging everything but as you say ill keep the tech visit incase any other issues have arose.

Will keep you in the loop

Sam