Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Using a V6 Box Away From Home

I've got a Sky multiroom deal, mainly because when I'm working away, I take the 2nd box to the digs.

I have VM broadband and phone.  VM have just offered me 2 V6 boxes to entice me to ditch Sky.

The digs I use does have a VM cable connection.  Could I plug in one of the V6 boxes when I'm there?  Does it realise I'm not at home, or does it just accept the box is legit and paid for and will let me use it?

TIA for any help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Using a V6 Box Away From Home

I think it will be fine so long as the V6 is activated. The digs will also need a VM hub for connection to the V6.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just as with Sky, Virgin can monitor where the equipment is being used. Sky can sting you for further subscription charges if you take a multiroom box to another location. VM also only allow use at the registered address, & can monitor if a V6 is connected to a different optical node. There has also been a recent post on these boards where a customer has connected a V6 to a Virgin Hub at another address & the V6 would not boot, assumedly as the Hub is registered to a different account from the one the V6 is registered too.

If the V6 is connected to a network area that is driven from a different cable headend to the one you are on now, the Network ID tables for your account & the network area you are connected to will be different. This could result in existing recordings being locked & BBC/ITV channels not being available.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Actually there was another post where someone took his TV box and hub to the place he was moving to and they worked for months until he informed VM of his house move, at which point the system kicked in and his equipment was deactivated (would have needed reactivating at his new address of course). This makes sense to me because his account was still in good standing, and as the equipment is registered to the account I don't see what's the technical problem with using the equipment at any address which also has an account in good standing.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Perhaps not a good idea for the OP to post his intentions on an official VM forum where staff can trace his account from his IP then?

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Gents, many thanks for the replies.  I've never had a problem with my Sky box, even use it to watch box sets via the network when away from home.

I'd hoped as Roger suggested that this would be a similar situation - if it's paid for, does it matter where it's plugged it?  Though I appreciate the steer from nod about the V6 might have to be paired to the initial hub.

I don't have VM TV yet and I'd rather be open and honest before I upgrade.  At least that way I can't come bleating if it goes pear shaped lol.  The rep said he will give me a call at some point so I guess I'd best ask his advice to make sure I'm not breaking any T&Cs (though I'd obviously trust you lads rather than some bloke chasing a sale). 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

the sky box is different. the satellite is a one-way communication and as long as you can get the signal you the satellites in orbit don't know you are using it.

The VM system knows what is connected and to where on the network and requires 2 way connections

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:
the sky box is different. the satellite is a one-way communication and as long as you can get the signal you the satellites in orbit don't know you are using it.

The VM system knows what is connected and to where on the network and requires 2 way connections

Just to back up that answer.

Taking a V6 to another location and expecting it to work will only cause frustration. Once activated, VM know which cable to expect a connection FROM (which is why you have to activate new kit), a device on a different cable wont connect no matter the status of the account.

0 Kudos