Menu
Amber771
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Tv without broadband

Can you have tv without broadband and a without a phone line. Sick and fed up of poor internet. But guarantee signal all through house but do not like their tv packages. Cannot find any info on virgin site and it impossible to speak to customer services

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tv without broadband

Your post seems contradictory as to whether you like and want TV on its own.

The current answer is really that you do need Virgin Media broadband for the current V6 TV box (and the future Horizon-based box, I believe).

.... unless you prefer the old, slow TiVo box which you can have without broadband.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As Ernie has suggested - If you do still want VM TV - I would stick with (or get?) the V6 box and just sort out what you describe as "poor" internet.

What Hub model have you (printed on its sticker)?
What package are you on?
Is the issue evident on ethernet cable connected devices as well as wifi ones?
What is the issue(s) poor speeds, connections, lag, etc?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Amber771
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for replies my post should say B T guarantee wi fi everywhere. I have max it tv m200 broadband. Two WiFi extenders and poor signa super hub 3. I was planning to keep the tv and change broadband supplier. Other people have said get mesh network. Why should I pay extra for this when virgin is crap. 

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

no one can guarantee wifi everywhere

even BT can't guarantee wifi
0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As I said, if you go elsewhere for broadband, you’re stuck with TiVo, not V6.

If you’re intent on taking your broadband business elsewhere then I would suggest you should do likewise for TV.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Amber771 wrote:

Thank you for replies my post should say B T guarantee wi fi everywhere.

As already said - no they dont really.  See the T&C's - To paraphrase it... they say....  they will guarantee it but if it's still not sorted they wont charge you for their efforts.

WiFi is your own responsibility to sort out - e.g. if you lived in an 18 bedroom mansion with foot thick stone walls over 3 floors - would you expect a Hub and a booster from any supplier to sort it "everywhere"?  Which is why no company can actually "guarantee" it.  Your T&C's clearly say you pay for network connectivity and speeds supplied "to" the Hub and not out of it on wifi.

If your wifi is poor it then you can either live with it & tweak it a bit and go mostly ethernet wired - or sort it for yourself - or find another provider you believe will do it for you.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

From BT T&C

It's our guarantee to deliver a strong wi-fi signal in every room of your home. We'll send you a new Smart Hub 2 and single Wi-Fi Disc to get you started. This covers the majority of homes, but if you still need more, we'll send up to two extra discs free of charge. And if for any reason you can't get a signal everywhere, you can get £100 back.

So they are using repeaters that will massively limit the speed in favour of coverage. they clearly always talk about coverage and not speed

0 Kudos