Menu
sarahandian116
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Top line of subtitles never rendered

With subtitles, they can be in two places on the screen. Typically they are at the bottom of the screen, but can be rendered at the top if the bottom of the screen has other information, such as an information banner.

On the virgin box if the subtitles are rendered at the bottom, then all lines of the subtitles are displayed.

If the subtitles are rendered at the top, then the first line of the subtitles is never displayed.

So if the subtitles are on two lines in the following format

Line 1: And welcome back today to the shop with Bob

Line 2: and Jane

Then the virgin box will just show "and Jane"

If there is only one line, then nothing is ever displayed.

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Top line of subtitles never rendered

Hello sarahandian116

Thank you very much for bringing this matter yo our attention 

What I will do is get in touch with the Team responsible for TV and ask this questions

I have not got an answer for you now 

So it is best if I went away and found the right answer

As soon as I have an update I will be back in touch on here 

I just need to ask what Box you have and does this happen on all channels?

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
sarahandian116
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Gareth,

Thank you for your reply. We are using the v6 TiVo box and we have noticed the same issue on multiple channels including:- Animal Planet, Sky One, Yesterday, BBC One, BBC Two, Discovery.

To check if the problem was with the original source, I recorded the same program from Yesterday and BBC One on a freeview box and the v6. In all cases when the subtitles were at the bottom of the screen, then subtitles were displayed correctly.

Once the subtitles moved to the top of the screen, then where there was just one line of subtitles seen on the freeview box, no subtitles are seen on the v6. Where two lines of subtitles are seen on the freeview box, only the second line is seen on the v6.

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks sarahandian116

I have asked the question now. Fingers crossed I get a speedy reply 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
JamboJohn
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Was there ever a resolution?

0 Kudos
sarahandian116
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have heard nothing back and I believe it's because Virgin Media just don't care about subtitling. Use your search engine of choice and use the words "virgin media subtitling" and see the number of hits about subtitling not being properly supported.

Now that the extra channels that we got over the initial Covid-19 lockdown have gone, we now have the same channels as Freeview. So we are now using the Freeview box instead as that does support subtitling properly. And we use the LG TV's catchup apps instead of using Virgin Media as those display subtitles while Virgin Media have never bothered to support subtitles.

There was a report in 2011 where Virgin Media had a plan to support subtitles on catchup starting with iPlayer, but looks like it never got any further. I've just tried looking for the report and I'm not finding it to link to this reply.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi sarahandian116,

I've just been watching Dr Who, The Christmas Special, The Next Doctor, on IPlayer via my V6 box, and that has subtitles on.

Admittedly, not all programs have subtitles, but that may depend on the program itself, the channel it's from etc.  

Ofcom have a code sets outs the requirements on subtitling, sign language and audio description ('television access services') that apply to television broadcasters.

This is constantly under review.

Ofcom channels-access-services-2020   and Ofcom channel-access-services-2021 

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
sarahandian116
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Okay, so they managed with iPlayer. Now try All4.

0 Kudos