Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Tivo box updated in the last 3years?

So we got VM 3 yrs ago. We moved house this wk and were sent a new broadband box and all the connectors but the new connector cable between the TV box and the broadband won't fit. Has there been an upgrade in TV box in the last 3 yrs? If so do I need to get VM to send me a new one too?! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo box updated in the last 3years?

The two boxes currently used by VM are known as TiVo and V6.  The former does not require a connection to the broadband hub but the newer V6 does.

The hub connection on the V6 is either via a standard ethernet cable or by WiFi, so no special cables required.  However, what is different is the cable to connect the VM cable feed to the V6 box.  So which TV box do you have?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mairic, welcome to our community and thanks for posting.  As per @Graham_A  do you have TiVos or V6 boxes?  The V6 boxes are smaller boxes, but are faster and in most cases have double the memory of the TiVo.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham... I think it's a tivo box based on that information... Do I then have to get in touch with VM for a newer box? Cheers m

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The V6 is a quantum leap better in terms of usability and speed. However, for it to work you must have it connected to VM's broadband and Hub. Plus it isnt a free upgrade - it will cost £99 + £35 to activate + its a bit more per month.
If you are out of contract you could try calling "retentions" and see whether theywill waive some of those costs in lieu of starting a new 1yr contract. But posters on here say they are reluctant to offer much at the moment.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos