Menu
Dosser62
Dialled in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

The Return Of SKY Sports live

So, it would appear that SKY Sports payments are returning shortly, due to the EPL resuming.

All fair and well, if you subscribe to the channel for that particular brand.

Living in Scotland, I subscribe to SKY Sports for football in my country, which won't be returning until Aug 1st, at the very earliest and even that is a long shot.

It would appear that I will be paying money to subsidise, which to my mind (and I will not be the only one), a foreign league. I view that league in the same way that I view the Bundesliga, which has been free to air since it re-started.

It would have been very interesting to see what would have happened, if football had restarted in Scotland first and they had pulled this stunt or indeed remained in their present state.

I know this isn't a VM issue directly, but thought I had to find somewhere to put my feelings down about it.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: The Return Of SKY Sports live

Perhaps stating the obvious, but what about the Sky Sports subscribers who don't watch football at all. The golf, cricket & snooker fans are also paying for football all year round (Premiership & EFL accounts for about 60% of the subscription cost).

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

what about the people that don't watch sport at all but have to pay for BT sport to have all channels.

You have 2 options.
1) pay for it. VM is fulfilling the contract.
2) cancel the sports/change your package
0 Kudos
Dosser62
Dialled in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My gripe isn't with VM as I said in OP.

Im totally in agreement with folk who say that fans of other sports are being taken for a ride to finance the EPL contract.

You would think that in this day and age, especially with their dedicated channel set-up that subscribers could pick and choose what actual sports and events that they actually wanted to watch.

The pittance of a deal that Scottish football gets compared to the EPL and EFL is a disgrace, but we all pay the same subscription rates. But that is a whole other argument.

Will have to suck it up for the duration, I suppose.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Hero
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It's not for the duration, it's what the content providers dictate. Typically they have a bunch of channels and insist that the cableco or telco takes them all as a package. It's like trying to get a deal for Discovery's channels excluding Animal Planet, can't be done even if the operator knows that few of its subscribers want it.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Richardr1
Dialled in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Of course, there would have been no Scottish football in June or July in a normal year, so no real change?

0 Kudos