Menu
tess44
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

TV picture flickering/cutting out

Thought it might be the TV or the hdmi cable so we checked against other tech - both are fine.

Did all the tests that you have to go through.

Spent an age getting through to India call centre who arranged for a new box to be sent which has arrived today. No new remote with it - I have no idea if the old one will work with it.

But the picture is still flickering, cutting in and out rapidly so it's not the TV box.

I've checked both the contact line and the app for faults in my area - none.

So, does anyone have any idea what IS the problem and how I go about getting virgin to fix it?

0 Kudos
tess44
Joining in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV picture flickering/cutting out

Hey there - Virgin Media - still no answer to my problem? I have unplugged everything and plugged it all back in again today too.

It's not the hdmi, it's not the box. There's some other fault with connection so that all I have is a tv screen spluttering on and off constantly.

Can someone contact me please!?

At the moment I am paying money for something that is entirely unusable and getting fed up quickly.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

This is primarily a user forum, VM staff often take several days to work through posts.

Have you tried swapping between HDMI ports on your TV? It's not clear from your posts whether you've just tried a different cable.

I'd expect a signal fault to be more apparent on some channels than others, and from your description this isn't channel-dependent.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
tess44
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, but it's not the port, the cable, the tv or the box. We've eliminated all of those.

I'm not going to spend money sitting on a call centre line for hours again so I'll have to wait for Virgin to answer me on here.

0 Kudos
DancinDiva
Dialled in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem for several days with the TV picture flickering/certain parts of the screen jumping. I thought it was just on one channel but it is on several.
I checked Service Status and apparently there is a Broadband Fault and a TV fault in my area - maybe it's the same for you if you check. However there is no description of the faults so I'll check back later as both faults are due to be fixed at 17:00.
0 Kudos
tess44
Joining in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks but the service status says no faults in my area - and I checked on both the app (which I understand is a broader area) and the phone line (which I understand to be more specific).

I don't know what else to do.

I'm just going to have to sit here and wait for virgin to plough through the forum posts - If I have to phone again, it'll be to cancel the contract at this rate.

😞

0 Kudos
tess44
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV picture flickering/cutting out - now error message 7400 and contact UNKNOWN???

Update - I seem to have resolved the flickering.

But now I don't seem to have most channels and there's an error message 7400

Which is hysterical because Virgin Media's help page says "enter the error code eg 7400" and if you enter 7400 it doesn't recognise it and suggests random other error codes which are for mobile phones....very helpful!

It's also telling me to contact UNKNOWN...which you can't - soooo????

Still no response from Virgin - anyone got a resolution for this error code thing?

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV picture flickering/cutting out - now error message 7400 and contact UNKNOWN???

Hi tess44,

Here is the working link to virgin-tv-error-codes/7400 

As you can see error 7400 applies to new boxes which need activating.  Have you received a new box, or plugged in a different VM box?

Either way, sign intoCheck service status at the top of the page. There may be a local fault (unlikely) but it also gives you the option to run tests on your equipment. This may result in VM sending a signal to your box to try and repair it.  The system might also send out a replacment or book an engineer visit.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
tess44
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks but, as I said, I was sent a new box, but cannot use it as they didn't send me a new remote with it and my understanding Please do correct me if I am wrong!, is that you can only use the remote with the box it goes with - they are not transferable right?

Again, I have checked for faults and there are none apparently.

Currently sitting on webchat waiting (for so far an hour and a half ) for a transfer to someone who "can sort this out very quickly".

I'll look at the link after I've given up the will to live on webchat, thanks.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Erorr 7400 is resolved by calling 0800 9539500 to activate the deactive box.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-error-codes/7400 will confirm this advice.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos