Menu
DancinDiva
Dialled in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

TV picture distorting/ pixelating colour lag & delays in changing service

For quite a while, my TV picture keeps distorting and the best way I can describe it that there is a delay in pixels changing colour. I have tried rebooting but this makes no difference. (I have tested the TV on normal Freeview and it works fine).

There is also a delay when looking at the TV guide and an even bigger delay getting any program on catch up.

Apparently there was a service upgrade last month and things seem to have deteriorated since them

It's impossible to get through to anyone on the phone/messaging etc.  and to cap it all, I have received an email saying my bill is going up in March by £3.50 even though I took out a new monthly contract in August last year. 

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TV picture distorting/ pixelating colour lag & delays in changing service

Hi DancinDiva,

Have you tried a different HDMI cable and/or port?

Is the pixelation just on live TV and on all channels or just certain ones?

Your bill shouldn't be going up in March unless the contract you took out in August only had the discounts for 6 months.

As per /PriceChange2020/Broadband 

" If you currently enjoy a fixed price offer each month, your price won’t be affected until the offer ends."

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

0 Kudos
DancinDiva
Dialled in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I haven't got a different HDMI cable and what ports (on what) are you referring to.
I haven't logged which channels it happens on (but it's several) and its on live TV, catch up and recordings.
Thanks for the info about price changing, I'll challenge mine - if I can get through to someone!
0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi again DancingDiva,

You currently have a HDMI cable coming from your Virgin box and it goes into the TV - the place it connects to on the TV is called an HDMI port. Most TV's have at least two of these ports and sometimes plugging the cable into another HDMI port solves pixelating issues. 

It's best to check this first by changing ports, or borrowing another HDMI cable and testing that.

The pixelating may also be caused by your Virgin box, or signal errors which only affect certain channels.

If you could list some of the affected channels we can determine if it's due to a signal issue which might require an engineer visit (unlikely to get one at present due to the current lockdown) or a faulty box where VM can send out a replacement  .

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

0 Kudos
DancinDiva
Dialled in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Picture Distortion

I have been having the same problem for quite a while. Varies from image juddering to lines of pixelated colur across the screen.
Rebooting sometimes works but it takes time to do that. Also there is a delay in changing functions e.g. to TV guide and then to a channel or go to recordings ages.
0 Kudos
DancinDiva
Dialled in
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Constant picture pixulation

I have been having the same problem for quite a while. Varies from image juddering to lines of pixelated colur across the screen. Oddly it seems to be when it's raining and/or gets worse in the evening.
Rebooting sometimes works but it takes time to do that. Also there is a delay in changing functions e.g. to TV guide and then to a channel or go to recordings ages.
BTW there seems to be quite a few people reporting this problem - It takes ages to try and get through to VM and to be honest I don't really want an engineer coming out. I have the old Tivo box so I wonder if it could be that.
0 Kudos
DancinDiva
Dialled in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Tivo Box giving Pictulated picture.

I have been having the same problem for quite a while. Varies from image juddering to lines of pixelated colur across the screen. Oddly it seems to be when it's raining and/or gets worse in the evening.
Rebooting sometimes works but it takes time to do that.
There seems to be quite a few people reporting similar faults so I wonder if it is the service or my old Tivo box. And yes, it takes ages to try and get through to VM. To be honest I don't really want an engineer coming out at the moment.
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@DancinDiva 

Have you been able to check/change your HDMI cable as was previously suggested in this thread?

You're quite right to say that many VM customers have pixellation issues. Pixellation is how any digital-TV system manifests signal issues, and VM is a digital TV platform.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
DancinDiva
Dialled in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I did check the HDMI cable when you suggested it but can't change it as I haven't got another. Do VM supply replacements?(with lockdown, it's not 'essential' to go out and buy one).
0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@DancinDiva wrote:
Yes, I did check the HDMI cable when you suggested it but can't change it as I haven't got another. Do VM supply replacements?(with lockdown, it's not 'essential' to go out and buy one).

You needn't go out to buy one, you can buy them online from all manner of retailers. Argos, Amazon, Curry's, take your pick - all of these offer home delivery.

And please - if you want constructive help, then adding "me too" to multiple other posts (all of which may have different issues to you) isn't the best approach. Keep your replies to one thread 😉

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos