Menu
davegooch
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

TV guide when schedule changes

Does anyone know why the TV guide does not get updated when the schedule changes? Throughout Covid, the BBC schedule has frequently changed due to the briefing from Number 10 but this has not been reflected in the TV guide on Virgin. Today BBC 1 is showing a tribute to Barbara Windsor, it's been announced all day, but you wouldn't know about it if you look at the TV guide onscreen. If Freeview can do it then why can't Virgin?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV guide when schedule changes

Hello

The TV Guide only updates a few times per day, it is not a real-time guide I am afraid, and this is the way it is programmed into the hardware.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'll add to DJ_Shadow's reply...

Broadcasters release EPG updates to Virgin several times daily, and TiVo/V6 boxes call home to update their data roughly every 6hours. You're right to say Freeview updates in real-time, but they don't have recording boxes with the same capabilities as VM's.

Virgin's TV boxes plan their recordings to a much greater degree than most Freeview boxes do, and updates need to come through VM's servers rather than directly OTA... all this comes with the slight trade-off that updates can't be in real-time.

To be fair to VM's system, a 6hourly update cycle is usually prompt enough to manage the majority of last-minute schedule changes. The BBC ones that change with, literally, hours notice, they've always been a problem and always will be.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Rillington
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The issue becomes even more of a problem during live events when they over-run or change channels as the box does not continue to record after the programme was originally scheduled to end. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

True.

When a planned recording follows a live event, it can be a good idea to manually amend said recording and add appropriate end padding.

As for changing channels, the BBC are particularly bad at this when live sport is concerned, and it can be an absolute nuisance I agree.

But the fault is with the broadcaster, not the VM EPG.

0 Kudos
davegooch
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi 

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I get that the BBC are particularly annoying in changing things at short notice - why they have to put Bo Jo's news conferences on BBC1 and then move BBC1 programmes to BBC2, when they have a perfectly good news channel to use that everyone can access, I don't know. If I had been looking to record one of the programmes that was moved I would be rather annoyed, fortunately that does not happen too often.

I also understand that it is obviously more complicated to arrange to record programmes than to just write a bit of code to recognise when a program is not on and look for another showing of that program instead - I do not pretend to have the first idea of how to program a computer, not in the last 35 years anyway...

With the specific case I was talking about, the tribute show to Barbara Windsor, that was being announced in the morning, and did not actually happen until after 7pm, so certainly the BBC knew about it well over 6 hours in advance. When they updated their EPG obviously I have no idea. 

It just seemed odd that VM did not have the up to date info when Freeview did - first world problems I know!! - so I thought I would ask

Thanks again

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@davegooch wrote:

It just seemed odd that VM did not have the up to date info when Freeview did - first world problems I know!! - so I thought I would ask

The BBC directly controls their EPG on Freeview & can change this from their own broadcast suites. The same goes for ITV. They are the only channels on Freeview with this capability.

Virgin, Sky & the other providers use third parties to update their EPG data, & then these updates have to be reprocessed by the providers STBs.

VM BB TV Landline PAYG mobile. Freeview/Freesat HD, Tesco Mobile. Customer since 1993

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@davegooch wrote:

I also understand that it is obviously more complicated to arrange to record programmes than to just write a bit of code to recognise when a program is not on and look for another showing of that program instead - I do not pretend to have the first idea of how to program a computer, not in the last 35 years anyway...

Just to pick up on this, the ability to reschedule recordings that clash, is one of the major USPs of Virgin's TiVo-based software that the TiVo & V6 run on. In other words, if a programme can't be recorded for whatever reason, find an alternative showing that can be, and record that instead.

If schedules were to be updated in real-time, then you create the possibility of one "amended" recording creating problems with other planned recordings with very little time to allow for it. It's less of an issue with the V6 than it was the TiVo, but it can still easily happen.

cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

@davegooch wrote:

The BBC directly controls their EPG on Freeview & can change this from their own broadcast suites. The same goes for ITV. They are the only channels on Freeview with this capability.

Virgin, Sky & the other providers use third parties to update their EPG data, & then these updates have to be reprocessed by the providers STBs.

The Sky EPG can be amended by the broadcasters. Late BBC schedule changes like news conferences and sport overruns are always listed on Sky, as with Freeview.

0 Kudos
Rillington
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I did think that a dynamic EPG, as it is called, was available to Sky customers. It's really unfortunate that Virgin TV doesn't offer the same accuracy and it's something VM needs to sort out.
0 Kudos