Menu
rickmac01
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

TV guide not updating

Recently I have noticed that the TV guide is not updating for future events. Today 28/2/2020 for BBC4 next Friday it’s showing to be announced. That is only a week away. Surely this is not good enough. Most other TV services such as Sky and Freeview show at least 14 days in advance. Also many channels are showing To Be announced from Saturday 07 March. How can people plan their viewing especially if they are going away. 

Yet another problem that Virgin seem reluctant to fix. I phoned in this problem only to be fobbed off with it being fixed. That was 2 weeks ago and it’s still the same.

I think I will leaving Virgin at the end of my contract. Their TV service has been nothing but a problem since I joined. 

Very unhappy virgin customer 

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV guide not updating

Hi press Home go to help and settings press OK then settings then network select re connect to the virgin media network that will update your TV guide, it may take 35 or 40 minutes as the last phase goes up in percentages, follow the on screen instructions to step left and you can continue to watch live TV, you can go back into it to check progress.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
rickmac01
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Have tried re connecting to the network service many times. I did it this morning and have just checked. Guide is still the same 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Firstly are you sure about other TV platforms having a 14day guide? Genuine question, because last time I checked this was one of Virgin's USPs - Sky's used to be 7days in advance, Freeview's I'm sure still is, but VM has for many years been 7days in arrears, and 14 days in advance.

That said.. the terrestrial channels tend not to update the second weeks' guide during the week, but update them en-masse during Friday, to then revert to 14days. This has been the case since as many years as I can remember, except during late November/December each year when most channels become rolling 14days. You can use series-links to set regular recordings (which, unlike Sky, are sticky between series) and you can also use the TV Control app to login to your TiVo from anywhere with a data connection.

However, if you genuinely find this setup hard to manage and think Sky or Freeview's setup is better, then you probably are best off cancelling.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
rickmac01
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

OK. I was wrong about Freeview having 2 weeks. 

As you said, by Saturday everything had been refreshed, and for the first time in a while, all the channels had a full 2 weeks of programmes.

I am hoping that by tomorrow this will have happened again, as this hasn't been happening on all channels for a long time.

Also I would have thought the updating of the program guide would be an ongoing thing, and not just weekly? To me that seems ridiculous. Surely thuis could be an automated process?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@rickmac01 wrote:

I am hoping that by tomorrow this will have happened again, as this hasn't been happening on all channels for a long time.

Also I would have thought the updating of the program guide would be an ongoing thing, and not just weekly? To me that seems ridiculous. Surely thuis could be an automated process?

For as long as I've had TiVo (coming on 6+ years now), this is how the guide has worked. Pay channels generally a rolling 12-14 days, terrestrial channels populated during Friday/Saturday.

It's gone through phases of starting to populate late on Thursday, and sometimes not until later on Friday/early Saturday. Which, at a guess, background process changes. Consistently around early December all channels move to rolling 14-days. Admittedly at the moment it's a little on the slow side and it's later on Friday to properly start loading.

Out of interest, what makes you think the process isn't already automated to some degree? The broadcasters need to supply their schedule data to someone/somewhere who collates them all into a universal format, that is then loaded onto the VM network. It may even be a contractual thing, stranger things have happened.. if VM is the only TV platform to have a 14day EPG, it may even be that weekly updates are a contractual thing with the terrestrial broadcasters in exchange for that extra 7days.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hello rickmac01

Sorry you are having this issue 

What I can guess from here is that you may have a TiVo® box 

Which can sometimes be a bit cumbersome at times 

Have you thought about upgrading to a V6 box 

If so let me know and I will happily arrange this for you 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
rickmac01
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Thanks for the reply. I know they must update automatically but I thought it would be a daily thing rather than a weekly thing. But I didn’t take into account any contract or arrangement VM may have with the channels concerned. As usual it all boils down to contracts and money and the end consumer is the one who suffers. The annoying thing is if they can do it at certain times ie Christmas, then why not all year? 

But thanks for the reply. I just hadn’t thought about it in that way. 

0 Kudos
rickmac01
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Gareth

Thanks for your reply. But I already have a V6 box. I agree they are much better than the original Tivo boxes. 

Apps such as iPlayer work so much better, as do Amazon and Netflix. Just a shame there are no apps for BritBox or Spotify. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Gareth_L wrote:

Hello rickmac01

Sorry you are having this issue 

What I can guess from here is that you may have a TiVo® box 

Which can sometimes be a bit cumbersome at times 

Have you thought about upgrading to a V6 box 

If so let me know and I will happily arrange this for you 

Gareth_L

I appreciate the OP has already replied to this thread, but if the subject was the frequency of updates to the EPG, I'm under the impression the V6 uses the same guide as the TiVo and therefore a box swap wouldn't make any difference?

0 Kudos