Menu
newtong
Joining in
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

TV channels in wrong aspect ratio

Hope someone can help. This is driving me mad.

Have already logged this as a fault and had a home visit by an engineer over a week ago who has confirmed that the box, settings and TV are ok. No further follow up by Virgin Support despite promises!!

Problem is: TIVO box connected to older TV (non HD) via SCART.

In the last couple of weeks a number of channels are suddenly appearing in 4:3 aspect ratio rather than widescreen.

Channels in question are 117, 123, 174, 180, 424, 515 (may be others but I'm not going to go through them all)

Although some of these channels may have occasional 4:3 programmes on them, even the advert breaks are still 4:3.

It is not the box or the TV as other channels are fine. Other channels that have 4:3 programmes on them switch to widescreen during adverts and then back, as they should.

Have also seen that the same programme broadcast on different channels are in different ratios on the different channels (for example, golf on 515 in 4:3 at same time as same broadcast on 511 was in widescreen!!)

The channels I've highlighted seem to have changed to either being broadcast with the widescreen flag missing or are being broadcast with the HD flag set (even though they're SD broadcasts).

Yes I know I may be unusual in having an old TV connected to a TIVO box via SCART, but the TV is still superb. I'm sick to death of having to go through the TV's menu to change the setting to widescreen every time I want to watch one of these channels.

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV channels in wrong aspect ratio

Hi Far be it for me to spend your hard earned cash but with the January sales not that far away it seems a shame you are paying for a service which includes HD via Virgins service, maybe you might think about buying a more up to date TV which will connect via HDMI that will deliver the correct things including aspect automatically.Regards Micky
0 Kudos
newtong
Joining in
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Indeed I don't want you to spend my cash. My TV is fine. It has inbuild upscaling and the picture quality is fantastic (better than HD on many TV's) and has an integral 5:1 sound system with external speaker that would cost a small fortune to buy. Thanks a lot for your kind suggestion - but what I'd really like is the problem fixed by Virgin.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@newtong wrote:

- but what I'd really like is the problem fixed by Virgin.

And it probably won't, as technology moves on and TV is now all digital. Converting back to analogue will become increasingly difficult, as will watching all my old analogue VHS tapes, but there you go.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Well said I tried to do it more "soft footed" but horses and water again.
0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Super solver
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

'I'd really like is the problem fixed by Virgin'
i don't see it happening. sorry. nor do i see sky or bt doing firmware updates for the very few still using upscaling hd tv's.

'My TV is fine'
clearly not. you have old technology and things will only get worse. when tivos are phased out it will be the v6 and i'm sure that will bring a whole set of new issues. i suspect the recent changes to file format/compression could be the problem, someone?

0 Kudos
Drumbeat
Dialled in
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Same problem here with a few channels in the wrong ratio, including ITV3, ITV4 and Challenge. The picture is so bad that tops of people's heads are cut off. I'm using a JVC TV with Tivo box.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

The only change that I'm aware of is the move away from MPEG-2 compression to MPEG-4, and it's possible that conversion to SCART doesn't always work well. As advised, get yourself a TV (HD of course) with an HDMI input.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Drumbeat
Dialled in
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi Roger,

Thanks for your reply.

My Tivo box is connected to my two-month old HD JVC TV via HDMI.  One thing to note is that the

TV set does automatically switch to the correct ratio (I've used the TV's

Freeview service for the purpose of the ratio problem) , whereas the Tivo box is refusing to do

this on many channels. I have rebooted the box to no avail.

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi Drumbeat,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear this. 

Have we reported a fault on our service page: virg.in/service?

^Martin

0 Kudos