Menu
veola
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

TV Guide does not reflect recent programme/channel changes

Why does the TV guide not reflect the programme changes on BBC1 and BBC2 that have been in effect for the last couple of weeks?  Pointless has been showing on BBC2, whilst the news/government briefing programme has been on BBC1 but the tv guide does not show this.

Is no-one able to make the tv guide show what is actually happening? I have a series link for Pointless but am getting the BBC1 programmes - so have missed all the recent programmes (I will have to watch them through on-demand which in itself is extremely clunky!)   

0 Kudos
Martin_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV Guide does not reflect recent programme/channel changes

Tv guides are planned months in advance so with pandemic news announcements there will be changes to the guide which cant be updated 

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Martin_Y
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

what set top box do you have is it a tivo or v6

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
veola
Tuning in
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I have a tivo box.  The relevant point is why Virgin cannot update the tv guide more interactively - especially as the coronavirus briefings have been happening at the same time every day for several weeks.  The other point is, why does the series link recording only record the time slot - it ought to be recording the actual programme even if it has changed channel!  

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@veola wrote:

I have a tivo box.  The relevant point is why Virgin cannot update the tv guide more interactively

Because the guide and the system software on the TiVO and V6 are not designed for interactive updating and never have been. The Guide is actually updated overnight and sometimes at one other time during the day. That takes up bandwidth so can't be done in busy times.

- especially as the coronavirus briefings have been happening at the same time every day for several weeks. 

That is true, but the changes are not permanent and so the third party company which supplies the TV guide to VM does not necessarily know from one day to another what any broadcaster is going to do. That is why the Guide doesn't reflect the daily reality of changes

The other point is, why does the series link recording only record the time slot - it ought to be recording the actual programme even if it has changed channel!  

Again it's down to the TiVO/V6 software. If VM make a major change to channel order they can get their boxes to follow those those changes but they can't do it for adhoc changes like we are currently experiencing.

Although you won't find much comfort in this the UK's definitive publication for TV channel - Radio Times - is not up to date on line or in print either.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
veola
Tuning in
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

So much for modern technology!  I notice that the Freeview guide does reflect these programme changes so at least one provider can manage it!

0 Kudos
veola
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Despite the previous information about the Tivo guide not being designed to be updated interactively, it obviously can be done because the BBC1 schedule for this evening reflects what is actually happening - Countryfile is at a different time and the One World concert is listed.  As the concert has been organised very recently it shows it is possible to change the guide relatively quickly.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

it must have been on the guide hast night as tv guide updates are downloaded during the nightly maintenance
0 Kudos
veola
Tuning in
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Which brings me back to my original question - why was the guide not updated to show Pointless had moved to BBC2 whilst the news/government briefings were on BBC1?  I have at least 6 or 7 daily recordings of the BBC1 5.15pm slot which have recorded the news briefings when that was my series link for Pointless.  Previous comments state that the guide is not designed to be updated so quickly, but the evidence is that it can be done but it wasn't! (Note - I'm not referring to when the information is being uploaded to our boxes, but the fact that someone somewhere should be amending the actual programme information to reflect the schedule)

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

because the BBC hasn't sent the data to vm
0 Kudos