Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

TV Channels list

Hi

Anyone know if Virgin automatically have ALL freeview channels?

I've got full house TV so 200 plus channels but i seem to be lacking CCXTV which is on freeview.

Caught part of a programme on it and thought i'd set a series record but can't find it via Virgin which i pay for but its on free to air

which seems a con.

Ta  Keith

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV Channels list

virgin do not and never have had all freeview channels, some channels on freeview are in the paid packages on virgin, nothing is free on cable, if you want to broadcast on virgin as a freeview channel virgin want paying, or they can go into one of the paid tiers and virgin will pay them, or they can ignore virgin altogether

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Very many of the channels on Freeview are on Virgin and contained within the Mix base bundle. However, Freeview is a different platform to Virgin.

You can view all of Virgin's channels, and their packages, on the channel guide here 

CCXTV is not currently carried on Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just a quick reply to both the guys replied to me.

I suppose i'm just slightly surprised that as i pay for one of the bigger TV bundles it does not include ALL of the FREE to air channels, after all they are dy definition FREE.

Obvs i can get freeview easily enough but i can't record anything unless i go to the trouble of buying a decicated hard drive recorder which is abit annoying give i pay Virgin a bundle of cash every month for a Top TV package that does not include Free channels and i already have two virgin hard drive recorder boxes, yet i now need a third.

All it does i make me anoyed with Virgin, which is not good PR.

Ta

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Keith,

CCXTV isn't even available on Sky, BT, talktalk or Freesat. It's only available via Freeview. ccxtv.co.uk/ 

It looks like the channel can't afford the carriage fees elsewhere at present. 

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Seems odd that small channels have to pay to be on Virgin (or others)

You'd ahve thought the more channels anyone can offer the more chance of subscribers.

All missing free to air chnnels mean to me is why pay for virgin TV package with stuff missing?

Kind of means i'm paying for BT sport which i very very rarely watch but don't get some free to air channels.

Ta  Keith

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Welcome to the world of pay-TV

Carriage agreements are rarely simple, and by their nature confidential. As I understand the system, broadcasters pay an amount to cover a platform's transmission costs, but are often paid by the platform for the content on those channels.

BT Sport being inclusive on TV-XL is an interesting case, and a whole other can of worms. The marketing angle of appealing to premium subscribers with a USP, certainly features - and clearly whatever numbers VM & BT have contractually agreed on, make the bundling work.

0 Kudos