Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

TV Box upgrade

I got an emails saying I can have an upgrade to latest TV box.  I was going to do self install, but it said only if TV box is less than 3 meters from Hub.

Mine are in different rooms, but connected over Ethernet via powerline adaptors.

I assumed at the time I needed engineer to install, but actually it seems this will be fine for self install, just change the box?

I can't figure out how to change my upgrade order.  I can't find a phone number to call on the website.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TV Box upgrade

It'll be fine with powerline adapters 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Do you know how I can contact virgin to change my order to self install?

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm a bit worried now.  I phoned Virgin Media to ask for the self-install instead of engineer visit, but they had no record of a TV upgrade order.  They said I already had the latest TV box (V6), and that a new box was still in beta and not being installed to customers yet.

They suggest I have received a scam email.  It was from Virgin Media<email@em.virginmedia.com>

Has anyone else received an email like this?  I've changed my account password, just in case.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@HergestPhil wrote:

I'm a bit worried now.  I phoned Virgin Media to ask for the self-install instead of engineer visit, but they had no record of a TV upgrade order.  They said I already had the latest TV box (V6), and that a new box was still in beta and not being installed to customers yet.

They suggest I have received a scam email.  It was from Virgin Media<email@em.virginmedia.com>

Has anyone else received an email like this?  I've changed my account password, just in case.

The email is real, but the box is still in the testing phase so if you order it expect some features are not quite there yet

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi HergestPhil,

Thanks for posting on the community regarding your TV upgrade offer.

Have you been able to get your box sent out as a self install, rather than have an engineer visit since you posted? If not, let me know and I'll send you over a private message and take a look for you.

Kind regards,

Beth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I called support, but failed to get through Friday.  Called again today and they said it was not possible to change, and even if I did it would now take longer.

So I was recommended to leave it as an engineer visit for installation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the update HergestPhil. I'd like to just double check this for you, so I'm going to pop you over a private message and take a look at the appointment order on the account.

Please find a message from me over at the purple envelope.

Thanks,

Beth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I got the offer of an upgraded box as well, and have a similar problem in that my hub is in a different room (on a different floor) from the Tivo box, connected to a different Virgin wall socket. I have one access from the cable network to the house, but two linked sockets. So do I need an engineer, or can I self install?

Having seen the earlier posts, does anybody know if this new box is  finished item, or are we being used as involuntary guinea pigs to see if ti actually offers anything new? I am a mite suspicious as recently my current box has started doing odd things like needing reset on an almost weekly basis, or claiming that the connection is down when it clearly is not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I regret my "upgrade".  It feels like this is still a beta release.  There's a lot of functionality that is seemingly missing that they say may be introduced through software updates in the future.

I miss my TiVo box.  I wish I could get it back.  I have found no benefits in the new box yet.  It was sold as enabling seemless streaming between TVs in different rooms or devices.  But of course you'll need to pay a higher subscription cost to get mini boxes for other rooms, and they've done something to prevent hdmi splitters from working I seems.

0 Kudos