Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

TV 6 box free

I have ordered a free box online but none was delivered. I then called customer service who told me they would order one for me - none was delivered. I have made a complaint to Virgin Media but no action. I just want my free box! Help!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: TV 6 box free

Good Afternoon andrewfindlater,

Thanks for your post and a very warm welcome our Community Forums!

I've looked into your account and can see that you don't currently have any broadband services with Virgin Media, do you have a broadband connection with another provider or are you interested in taking a connection out with Virgin Media?

You will need to have a broadband connection to utilise the V6 box. 

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

David, I have broadband with another supplier. I am currently only able to access 5 TV channels via my Virgin cable, so I am not being provided with the service I am paying for. Please arrange for the free TV6 box to be sent to me as the message that appears on my TV states I am entitled to. 

Thank you

Andrew Findlater

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The reason you can’t have a V6 has already been given.

You don’t have Virgin Media broadband which is a pre-requisite for V6.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello

The V6 box will only work fully on a VM broadband connection this is why you have not been sent one, on other providers all you will get is the live TV channels, there will be no on demand, EPG, iPlayer, etc or anything that uses the internet.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Andrew, 

It sounds like you have one of the old decommisioned TIVO's since you are only receiving 5 channels, or you no longer have a current VM TV subscription.

There were numerous announcements on the box advising a free replacement is available.  Did you see one saying, "This is an older type of Virgin Media box and we need to upgrade it. Don't worry, it's totally free with no catches!  Simply give us a call on 0345 454 1111 to place your order." or

"This is one of our older boxes which will not be supported from 1st July and only basic channels will remain.   Don't worry, you are entitled to a free upgrade to our latest box, the V6. Just visit virginmedia.com/offers/V6swap or call us on 0345 454 1111 to book your upgrade."

If so then the online swap is no longer available, so you'll need to call 0345 454 1111 to book your upgrade

It's possible that the other box swaps failed because the agent tried to send out a V6 which only works with a VM broadband connection, so the system cancelled the box regrade. You need a TIVO replacement box.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Then can you tell me why I keep getting a message that tells me I can have a free box? Does Virgin Media realise that this kind of forced bundling of services is deemed anti-competitive? These are rhetorical questions, please don't answer Ernie - I don't need any more of your insights thank you.   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

forced bundling of services is deemed anti-competitive”

What a load of rubbish.

First, where is that even documented?

Secondly, Virgin Media don’t actually do it.

With Virgin Media, you can have any combination of all services.

... and, before you say it, requiring Virgin Media broadband to run a V6 is forcing nothing. TV is available without Virgin Media broadband, via the TiVo box.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@andrewfindlater wrote:

Then can you tell me why I keep getting a message that tells me I can have a free box? Does Virgin Media realise that this kind of forced bundling of services is deemed anti-competitive? These are rhetorical questions, please don't answer Ernie - I don't need any more of your insights thank you.   

You also cannot have BT TV without BT Broadband, or TalkTalk TV without TalkTalk Broadband. The boxes revert to standard Freeview box operations. You can use SkyQ without Sky Broadband, but not all the facilities work. It is a technical issue, not a anti-competitive move. It would be impossible to use the box effectively with slow ADSL connections in areas where VM is the only fibre provider. Some other providers routers are also not up to the spec VM requires to drive the V6.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos