Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

TIVO Rebooting Each Morning

In the last week, TIVO box reboots itself every morning between 2:30 am & 5:00 am. Before then only would generally reboot once every 2 - 3 weeks, once again, only in early hours of morning. Apart from that everything else seems OK. On-line test shows 'Your TV box is online but may not be working fully'. Just concerned that more serious issue on way.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: TIVO Rebooting Each Morning

If this is happening frequently, then it could be a sign of the box failing - which you're advised to call TV Faults to report. That said, if it's only happening overnight and not during the day... there could just be a schedule of planned works in your area that's causing this, as a failing box would tend to reboot at random times.

Out of interest, how do you know it's restarting between 2.30-5am?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

japitts.

Thanks for reply. There is a known issue in my area but refers to managing of TV to GO which I assume would not effect current issue. Standard TIVO box seems to have an internal auto reboot, years ago every 7 days with other timings of 23 & 12 days which co-inside with software updates. I think current is back to 23 days but had a couple of power cuts along with manual reboots min attempt to sort. Been onto VM and sending replacement box.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@mgirons wrote:

Thanks for reply. There is a known issue in my area but refers to managing of TV to GO which I assume would not effect current issue. 

Correct. Having a replacement arranged is the main thing.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

New Box installed Saturday am - still rebooting early hours of morning. Assume chances are then not box - no power cuts etc. happening. Reboots between 2:30 am  4:30 am which seems to be 'normal' scheduled reboots (every 12 - 23 days according to software versions). After a struggle, engineer booked. (Hanging on 63 minutes then got cut off - appears to be common problem from other threads. Tried again on telephone, gave up after just under an hour. Managed to get to speak to someone yesterday morning after just over an hours wait. Engineer booked Wednesday am.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

New Box installed Saturday morning - issue still there plus picture breakups now - latter not there on old box. Engineer visit Wednesday, reboot issue out of his expertise, 'Upgrade your box + get Virgin hub', 'Select BBC1, put box in standby overnight'. Tested signal strength with a wand, 'Low signal strength' (cause of picture issue !), added something to line input, reckoned problem solved. Picture breakups actually been worse & more frequent since then. In hurry to get away so left. Contacted telephone support yesterday morning, agent remotely reset/restarted box. Apparently a known fault in my area in a cabinet being worked on (not on service status less than hour before), see if that cures, if not go back to them (will do later). Last night, picture breakups still & 3:05 am automatic reboot, tuner signal levels show 62%, old box was 100%. Problems seem more pronounced in the evenings, (more people viewing therefore less to go round?). Technician's visit waste of time, nothing solved - picture actually degraded since his visit. Have to keep on trying to get them to sort.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@mgirons wrote:

Problems seem more pronounced in the evenings, (more people viewing therefore less to go round?). Technician's visit waste of time, nothing solved - picture actually degraded since his visit. Have to keep on trying to get them to sort.

This theory would potentially hold for internet-based viewing, but live TV broadcast doesn't work that way. VM is no different to terrestrial Freeview here - adding another aerial to a neighbour's roof doesn't degrade your TV signal any more or less than next door switching their TV box on.

It sounds like you have an issue with your power levels, that might need rectifying within the street cabinet - and it's unfortunate your first engineer hasn't resolved this, for whatever reason.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - years ago used to have 'Channel not available' frequently, engineer would go to nearest cabinet (50-60 meters away) and tweak something there and would be ok for a while. Problem eventually resolved when they located a problem cabinet somewhere in the village. Had a few very minor picture issues since but very minor & one offs which you expect, nothing 100% all the time. Just can't understand why old box no problem with picture, new box once set up & on-line was immediately showing problems. Thanks for your assistance - more knowledgeable  technician booked for next Tuesday.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

First new box, picture breakup got worse. Auto restart still early am, by late morning break-up started. Tried manual restart, problem immediately cured until late evening when reappeared. Another engineer visit, 2nd new box installed, signal strength apparently OK (previous engineer 'low signal strength). He had fitted an attenuator !!. Currently picture break-up permanently solved, still auto booting each early most mornings (5 out of 7). Virgin perplexed. Problem shows itself when recording early in morning, recordings between 3:00 am & 5:00 am recorded in two blocks with about 5 minutes missing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@mgirons wrote:

Currently picture break-up permanently solved, still auto booting each early most mornings (5 out of 7). Virgin perplexed. Problem shows itself when recording early in morning, recordings between 3:00 am & 5:00 am recorded in two blocks with about 5 minutes missing.

I'm not saying this necessarily is the case for you (I'm not VM staff and have no idea where in the country you are), but overnight is when VM often perform maintenance and upgrade works - which can often result in boxes being rebooted.

These works tend to happen over a short space of maybe a week or two.

0 Kudos