Menu
IED
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Switching to a new TV6

Virgin told me I had to upgrade and offered me a new TV6 Box which has arrived.I thought they said the old box would stop working soon.

I have three boxes of differing ages so have three questions:

1. which box am I supposed to replace

2. can i move a box I have replaced  to another TV

3. will recordings on a Tivo box be lost?

Covid-19 or not I do wish Virgin would provide assistance for this sort of thing. Poor

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Switching to a new TV6

The box you're supposed to be replacing is the non-TiVo based box i.e. a V / V HD or V+ HD depending on what you've got.

Once you've set up the new V6 box though, what boxes go where is up to you - as long as the V6 box can talk to your Hub.

Any recordings are lost at a box swap.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
IED
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for such a quick response. Wish Virgin had made that clear.

Unfortunately the oldest box isn't near the hub and is the only room in the house (a remote extension) without decent wifi so the TV6 cant be installed there. I could replace the oldest Tivo box (at the hub) with the TV6 it and then move that Tivo box to replace the oldest box but then I lose all my recordings. Might be best not to fit it at all. Unless Virgin has extenders that wok on the mains circuit, normal range extenders don't work into that room.

Regards

0 Kudos
Cueball99
Well-informed
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You won't lose any recordings by just moving the Tivo. Only recordings on the outdated box will be lost.

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yeah it would be possible to 'bump' the boxes down the chain i.e. install the V6 to be your main box, move the TiVo where where your oldest box is and then disconnect that

In theory you can copy your existing TiVo box settings (not including recordings) to your new V6 via these instructions
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-tv-copy-tv-box-settings-to-another-box

However it seems to having some technical issues at the moment so doesn't always work.

If you're physically moving a TiVo box in your home and it's still active, all recordings would stay on it, but obviously it would be in a different room for viewing them.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
IED
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You may be working in a personal capacity but you are being a lot more helpful than Virgin. What wasn't any of this in the instructions which were content lite?

Note to moderator, give this person a bonus

0 Kudos