Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Standard definition programmes on catch up

Hi,

Apologies if this has already been covered in another thread but I can't seem to find anything.

I've recently moved from Sky to Virgin Media. On Sky in the on-demand/catch-up sections you could download a programme in either SD or HD. 

In this case I have the Mix bundle TV package. My missus watches a lot of programmes on E! of which we have the standard channel and not the HD version included in our package. When she goes to download a programme in the on-demand or catch-up area it only shows the HD channel and we have to further subscribe.

My question is - Is there a way to download the SD version of the programmes on that channel or is it only HD you can download?

Thanks for reading.

Dan.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Standard definition programmes on catch up

Sky's "On Demand" often works on a "download and playback" basis, i.e the programme isn't actually on-demand streaming but is downloaded to your box and then played back. Sky don't have control of your download speeds which can greatly vary, so they have to do it this way.

VM have full control over your download speeds and they should always be sufficient to live stream programmes, so Virgin OnDemand is exactly that - OnDemand, played live with no need to download.

The SD/HD differences you'be found, aren't to do with downloading vs streaming, but the package levels and which channels are/aren't included. E! HD is only included in the Full-House/XL/Maxit tier, so the HD-VOD content looks to be reflecting this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos