Menu
Mike13
Up to speed
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Snooker on BBC Red Button

Usually when the snooker is on the BBC, my new Virgin box allows me to press the red button then automatically goes to the I-Player and asks me to press button one if I want to watch the match on table 1 and button 2 for table 2. It gives me this choice.

It allowed me to do this for the UK Championship in December, and for The Crucible last April and May. On doing it today, I was given no such choice. On pressing the red button, it took me straight to the Judd Trump which was already the one being played on BBC 2 anyway.

By going to channel 991, I could watch the other match. But channel 991 won't be showing the snooker all week, and is in Standard Definition anyway. So it's possible that I won't be able to watch matches of my chosing later in the week.

Is there another way I can get match choice via the I-Player on TV? And why has it been changed? Last December, I would simply press the red button and and be offered my choice of matches. Why can't I know?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Snooker on BBC Red Button

I don't follow snooker like I used to, but I was playing around with the red button a little while ago out of curiosity, and also struggled to find this initially...

Red-button opts for (I presume) table-1 by default, and there doesn't appear to be a choice in that. Once the stream is playing, if you choose "ok" to bring up the on-screen menu and then scroll down, the second table is offered as an option there.

Eurosport also have both tables on their linear channels if you have those, don't mind the commentators and want a better picture than I suspect the red button is.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike13,

At the time of posting (11:34am Friday 31st July) I've just logged into the Iplayer app on my V6. There are 2 streams with live matches in progress on there. -table 1 Trump v Ford(mid session interval) and table 2 Bingham v Carty

The red button on both BBC1 and BBC2 takes me to the live stream of Trump v Ford, and below that is the rest of Iplayer with table 2 also available.

Table 2 is live in the red button 991 channel.

Looking at the schedule on Eurosports 1 and 2 HD on VM they are showing the same games as BBC and have the same time breaks for pauses in play and the resumption of the next sessions.  If you don't mind the ads then Eurosport  seems best

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Mike13
Up to speed
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I appreciate that Eurosport showed both tables today and that I can watch what is not on BBC 2 on Channel 991. (I watched Stuart Bingham vs Ash Carty on Eurosport this morning.)

My problem is that when the BBC 2 version finishes, channel 991 reverts to whatever is on table 1. So table 2 is not available. Eurosport doesn't necessarily have snooker on both channels at all times, especially on weekends. So that isn't going to necessarily be an option either.

How do I view both matches on my I-Player on my Virgin TV, should the other options not be available?  Earlier in the season, I simply pressed the red button and was offered the choice of two tables. This morning, that choice was not available. Was this a blip, or is there another way of watching it over the BBC website via my Virgin TV? I want this as a precaution in case the match I want is not on Eurosport or 991.

I have booked a fortnight off work to watch the snooker, so being able to pick the correct match at all times is vital to me.

0 Kudos
Mike13
Up to speed
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the response, I shall try and have a search. Am watching at a friend's today and tonight.

So will try to find the conclusion to Bingham and Carty tomorrow on Red Button to see if it works.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I'm unsure how much use this is, but BBC how to watch snooker is as good an answer to this as anything!

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Mike13
Up to speed
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

No good, I'm afraid. That doesn't include the snooker shown on the BBC website, which is what I'm after. How do I get something that's live on the BBC website shown on my Virgin TV? I used to be able, now can't. I wondered why.

Maybe just not destined to be able to find an answer for. Not sure who I ask even. Virgin Media or the BBC?

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@Mike13 wrote:

No good, I'm afraid. That doesn't include the snooker shown on the BBC website, which is what I'm after. How do I get something that's live on the BBC website shown on my Virgin TV? I used to be able, now can't. I wondered why.

Maybe just not destined to be able to find an answer for. Not sure who I ask even. Virgin Media or the BBC?

Ultimately this is a BBC issue. Extended Red Button services were due for cutbacks prior to lockdown, & these were then suspended. The BBC Sport app was also due to be removed. This carried a lot of the Live Sports streams. My thoughts are that hitting Red on a BBC channel will more than likely just get you the additional broadcast stream (991). The Red Button has never linked to the BBC Sport app, but I would check there as well as the iPlayer.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos
cheekyangus
Superfast
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I had a similar problem with the tennis that is on.

There are three solutions I found for tennis, I'd imagine it's the same for snooker.

1) Press Red. Select the one that is "wrong" like you were doing. Once it is playing press down arrow button to bring up the menu. Then there are multiple screens to choose from, the other matches will normally be there in the bottom left tiles with a LIVE label. And then you just use the arrow buttons and OK to select them.

2) Press Red.  Go into iPlayer, Select Catgories then Sport. The live events are normally at the top and they normally have labels to say which match.

3) Press Red. Select Sport to launch the BBC Sport App. Selected live tiles are on the front, there's also the Live category at the top you can select if it can see it. Another alternative here is to choose All Sport at the top, then Snooker from the sub categories, Live Snooker is then top and I've noticed there, at time of typing this, it says Today from 10am. Selecting that it says Table 1 and Table 2 along the bottom left most tiles.

So try all of them and see which is easiest for you.

0 Kudos
Mike13
Up to speed
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Angus, you absolute legend. I have tried your first suggestion and that seems to have worked.

It didn't offer me the match choice, but I picked the wrong one and there are matches at the bottom of the screen. So I can then change it to the match I want.

As has been stated on here previously, 90% of the tournament seems be on Eurosport. But on some occasions, Eurosport is only running on one channel and there's no coverage on BBC 2. So in that situation, my only option would be to watch on BBC Red button. 

Thank you for giving me the info.

0 Kudos