Menu
Flutterby57
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sky channels

I switched to Virgin Media in January for TV, phone and broadband using the offer of £33 per month for a year.

Another family member already has Sky TV in a different room, primarily for the Sky Sports channels but they like a few of the other Sky channels.

Sky keep on raising their prices and I've seen that Virgin do seem to have Sky Sports (although there are some worrying messages about the channels disappearing).

Pricewise, it would seem to make more sense if we each had a VM TV box with access to the Sky channels and did away with Sky TV.  Surely that would be much more economical.

Any ideas anyone?

0 Kudos
dannylau
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Sky channels

Probably, it's £5 per month for each extra box so if you do the maths then you can check if it works out cheaper 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You are basically paying twice for everything by having Sky & Virgin TV services.

Second boxes on Virgin are £7.50 a month, & the boxes are totally independant of eachother for recording with the facility to stream between boxes.

The only Sky channel missing on Virgin is Sky Atlantic, so if you won't miss this then dumping Sky might be the right decision.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Hero
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

An additional V6 box costs £99.95 plus £35 set up fee plus £7.50 per month. You'll need to pay for Sky Sports (don't know how much it costs) and the Sky Sports HD channels will be an extra £7pm.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Flutterby57
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.

I didn't realise the TV boxes would be that expensive and there'd be another set-up fee.  The aerials are separate for what we have.  Maybe there would be another cost involved with sorting out the aerials too.

For the rest of the contract we have VM half price (£33).  Other family member pays £33 for Sky TV currently.  End of contract, VM will go up to £64 ish.

May need to shop around again at end of contract but I think it would only leave TalkTalk and BT.

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

An additional V6 box costs £99.95 plus £35 set up fee plus £7.50 per month. You'll need to pay for Sky Sports (don't know how much it costs) and the Sky Sports HD channels will be an extra £7pm.

The pricing has changed recently for customers on the new 18 month bundles that started on the 1st July:

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/tv

New customers: £30 network installation fee where QuickStart is unavailable. £10 monthly recurring service extension fee for the first box plus £5 monthly recurring service extension fee for any additional box.

Existing customers adding TV: £30 network installation fee where QuickStart is unavailable. £10 monthly recurring service extension fee for the first  box plus £5 monthly recurring service extension fee for any additional box.

For those customers there isn't a high one off setup fee. In the above it does mean £10 for the first additional box on top of your main bundle price.

Existing customers on older deals can get the same pricing, but it may mean moving to a current bundle deal and a new minimum term contract.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Flutterby57
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply Ben.

Could you please explain what the extension payments are and for how long they would continue?

Are you able to confirm that all Sky channels would be consistently available, apart from Sky Atlantic as suggested by one of the other members on the forum.

How much better off would we actually by switching to a new contract?  We have 6 months to run on our VM contract.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The £10 first box / £5 second box onward pricing with no upfront fees replaces the older £7.50 per box fee and the one off upfront fees. The £10 / £5 fees are indefinite.

Say you got a new 18 month contract

On the old bundle pricing the first additional box is 18 x £7.50 + £99.95 = £234.95

On the new bundle pricing the first additional box is 18 x £10 = £180

Plus the additional advantage of not having a one off fee on a bill.

Additional Virgin TV boxes completely mirror your existing TV subscription line up. The only time that is different is when you have a mix of V6 and TiVo boxes. But you can get up to three V6 boxes per home.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
Flutterby57
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you! Its beginning to make a bit more sense now!

How can I find out how much Sky channels would cost with VM? Need to work out if it would be worth making the change.

Is it true that Sky channels aren't guaranteed? 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Hero
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The only guarantees are death and taxes. However, Sky and cable providers have a long history of collaboration and, despite a big spat in 2007, I'm very confident that Sky's channels will continue to be provided on VM for a long time as both sides now have too much to lose if they fail to get a deal on their next carriage agreement.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection