Menu
Sticks
Dialled in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Sky Movie channel 405 not available after 30 December 2020 message

Today I saw on Channel 405 that it will be unavailable after 30 December 2020.

Is that just channel 405, or does that include the other Sky movie channels which are not showing that message? (It was just channel 405 that showed this message, I checked the others)

Why is it going if it is just channel 405?

If it is all of the Sky movie channels, why are they going and why is channel 405 the only one showing that message?

What about films recorded off them on my TiVo box, will they be deleted if the channel I recorded them off is not longer available?

I recently upgraded my service which was to include Sky movies, I thought, so if they are going, do I get a reduction in my monthly subscription?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky Movie channel 405 not available after 30 December 2020 message

You’re not in Ireland are you?

If so, it may be due to Brexit.

... or, if that channel is Disney, Sky no longer have the right to broadcast it.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sky Cinema Disney closes on NYE I think, and is replaced with Sky Cinema 5-Star (or something similar) for 5 days, after which it closes and Sky Cinema Premiere +1 relaunches.

Sky Cinema retain the rights for major premieres, but the back catalogue rights are slowly reverting to Disney+ - which before you ask, VM don't currently carry and (publicly at least) won't admit to.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Sticks
Dialled in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I live in Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Is Channel 405 of Sky Movies for Disney movies only?

0 Kudos
Sticks
Dialled in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Apparently for TV I am on Maxit TV

Will I still get Sky Cinema Premier and Sky Cinema Premier+1?

Any reason why Virgin will not carry Disney+?

What about the other Sky Movie channels, which I am now paying for (401-404, 406 onwards) Are we losing those?

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

At present channel 405 is for Disney Movies  although Sky have a habit of changing the movie channel numbers and names, such as dedicating a channels to Musicals, Star Wars, Harry Potter etc.

On December 31st Disney changes to Sky5*MoviesHD until 6th January when Sky5*MoviesHD closes.

On January 6th Sky Cinema Premiere +1 replaces the above, however as per usual, channel numbers may change again.

In the past Sky Cinema Premiere +1 was on channel 402 (currently occupied by Harry Potter)

It's probable that Sky Cinema Premiere +1 will just be in SD as it was previously.

VM customers paying for Sky Cinema channels, as a stand alone addon or part of a package  will continue to receive them all.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

0 Kudos
Sticks
Dialled in
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

If I have recorded any Disney movies off of than channel onto my TiVo box, will those recording remain after the channel closes down, or will they be deleted by Virgin?

Do we know if Virgin will ever carry the Disney+ channel that was mentioned earlier?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Sticks wrote:

Apparently for TV I am on Maxit TV

Will I still get Sky Cinema Premier and Sky Cinema Premier+1?

Maxit includes all the standard channels, just not the chargeable kids ones and Sky Premiums. You can check the channel list at the bottom of this page.

@Sticks wrote:

Any reason why Virgin will not carry Disney+?

No-one's saying they will, no-one's saying they won't. Just like any other channel or app, Virgin Media need to have a commercial agreement with the provider, and in the case of an app, have it written for them.

It's probably a racing certainty that VM want to have Disney+ available, but as to whether they already have an agreement but the launch date is being kept quiet... or whether they don't and are still trying to come to agreeable terms with Disney.... only those within Virgin Media's commercial & TV teams are likely to know. If past form is anything to go by, the first we will know of the launch is when the app appears on V6/360 boxes.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@Sticks wrote:

If I have recorded any Disney movies off of than channel onto my TiVo box, will those recording remain after the channel closes down, or will they be deleted by Virgin?

Do we know if Virgin will ever carry the Disney+ channel that was mentioned earlier?

Sky insist that any recordings made from their channels are made inaccessible after a channel closes or you cease to subscribe.

No UK provider has yet signed a deal with Disney for access to their app, although the app will be accessible through SkyQ boxes through a direct subscription to Disney only.

VM BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Customer since 1993

0 Kudos
Sticks
Dialled in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@nodrogd wrote:

Sky insist that any recordings made from their channels are made inaccessible after a channel closes or you cease to subscribe.

No UK provider has yet signed a deal with Disney for access to their app, although the app will be accessible through SkyQ boxes through a direct subscription to Disney only.

So Virgin will be getting the TiVo boxes to delete all the recording from that channel on 31 December? Seems unfair when it seems to be Disney pulling the plug. .

So has Sky negotiated an exclusive deal with Disney in the UK so if you want to see their films and keep any recordings you have to switch to Sky?

☹️

0 Kudos