Menu
spears8471
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

[Sky]HISTORY Channel 270

So, in the past I have come across entire series of programmes that I have recorded on my V6/TiVo boxes but for one reason or another not managed to watch them and then said channel ceases to exist ie Universal & Lifetime etc. Once gone you are unable to play said recorded programmes due to 'copyright reasons'. I have since come across this again, however, this time it's programmes I have recorded on channel 270 - HISTORY (pre-Sky collab). I have found that I am unable to watch with a message saying "We're sorry, but this recording can't be viewed because HISTORY is no longer available from Virgin Media." Now, this is where it gets interesting because IT IS still available on the SAME channel. It has just been rebranded SkyHISTORY. Also, the +1 offering on channel 271 is also still available under the rebrand but I CAN play programmes I have recorded on that channel. What the hell is going on? I Tweeted VM & Sky over this but still awaiting a response hence posting here now as well.

EDIT: I may have answered my own question here, but is it because SkyHISTORY on 270 is now in HD whereas the +1 on 271 is not?

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: [Sky]HISTORY Channel 270

Hello

You are right when a change happens where the HD channel replaces the SD channel in the numbers like has been done with channel 270 then as the SD recording still points to channel 270 then I am afraid that it will not be watchable.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

spears8471
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Mike. It would be nice if VM gave us a heads up on these types of change so that we can at least try to watch recorded progs before the change/s take place. Whatever happened to the messages section on our DVRs? It would seem a great place for VM to post messages of this ilk. Not everyone knows about the changes until they've happened. I lost 6 series of Major Crimes that I had recorded on Universal when that ceased transmission. When it went I was unable to watch, luckily Alibi are showing them now. I recorded Knightfall Series 1 on HISTORY but series 2 on +1. Series 2 is OK but no point watching unless you've seen Season 1. I have since discovered that it is on Netflix so all is not lost but I also recorded the Ozzy & Jack series' so I may as well just delete them now & hope they are shown again at some point by setting up a series record link.

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I have seen other posts that mentioned the messages section of the DVRs I am afraid that has not been used by VM in the last year or more.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

This is undoubtedly the removal of the History SD channel that has caused this. As is normal when a Sky owned channel is removed, Sky insist that ALL content is removed (including any stored recordings).

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos