Menu
JohnTJ
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Shudder and Disney plus

Hey Virgin media are you going to add the shudder and Disney plus apps alongside Netflix 

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Shudder and Disney plus

What and expect these two to pay a share of their revenue to VM for the privilege, when these apps could be free standing and they get to keep the whole of their subscription revenue. What do you think is going to happen?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
JohnTJ
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I thought the apps were free and it was your choice  load them as I already subscribe to Disney plus and it would be good to have it all on one platform instead of having to change to another way o watch something different ie tv or Xbox 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Only VM and the app providers know the commercial arrangements between them for the streaming services to be available.

But certainly in the case of linear broadcast channels, there are transmission costs that all platforms get paid for carrying a channel on their service. Then carriage costs that the platform pays the broadcaster to provide their content.

I'm sure, in a free world, VM would rather all of the streaming apps content were provided to them without the need for apps - and just use their own OnDemand platform. Providers such as Netflix, Amazon, Disney, Discovery etc etc want to have more direct control without the need to go through platforms such as Virgin.

A high-level view....

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@JohnTJ wrote:

I thought the apps were free and it was your choice  load them as I already subscribe to Disney plus and it would be good to have it all on one platform instead of having to change to another way o watch something different ie tv or Xbox 

Virgin owns the box. You just rent it, so no you cannot put apps on their box. There has to be 1) a commercial agreement between the two & 2) the app owner has to develop & pay for an app that works with the TiVO or Horizon firmware used on the boxes.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

0 Kudos