Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Scrambled picture on HD Channels

Tried contacting C/S with no joy so far. We had Virgin TV installed last month. The TiVo box in the same room as the router works great, but we have had a second box installed which struggles with a lot (not all, but most) of the HD channels. The picture is completely broken up and even when the picture is ok, there is often a complete lack of audio/video sync. Trying to work out what the issue is - the WiFi signal is ok, but it hasn’t worked since the day of installation, so I wonder if it’s either the cable installation or the box that has a fault. Done the usual stuff of rebooting, checking the cables are tightly connected etc. Any ideas of the best way to contact C/S or do I just keep trying and stay patient?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Scrambled picture on HD Channels

First thing's first, are your boxes TiVo or V6? If you're not sure, check here - this advice applies to both versions, but let's ask now 🙂

Pixellation is a symptom of poor TV signal, so any box that has this problem (assuming it's been rebooted once) either has a fault itself, or with the cabling. IF only one of your boxes is affected, a good test will be to swap the boxes around and see where the problem follows.

The WiFi/internet signal carries all your online functions, such as VOD, TV guide updates and a few other functions.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Distorted Picture

Going round in circles with this one...

I moved house and had Virgin TV installed last month. Two V6 boxes - one in the room next to the router and a second in another room. The one in the other room has frequent issues with pixelation and distortion of the picture, especially many of the HD channels. Occasionally there is complete lack of audio/video sync as well (across all channels sometimes, but mainly HD again). The issues resolve on resetting the box (unplugging for 20 seconds) but then recur after a few hours. I’ve tried phoning the helpline twice, which basically talks me through resetting the box, then kicks me back to the Virgin “Help Page”. I’ve been unable to speak to a real human at all - while I’m a fan of automation, this is ridiculous! 

l’ve also tried swapping the V6 boxes to see if it’s the box or the cable. The issue remains in the second room so the problem is with the cable. Since the issue has been present since installation, it clearly wasn’t installed properly. Any ideas where I can go from here? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Distorted Picture

Excellent tests so far! You seem to be at the stage of diagnosing (probably) the internal cabling, so you'll need to call Virgin and report your fault. You mention you've already tried calling, the automated system can be a blessing and a curse here.

Sometimes it can run tests, diagnose you need an appointment and arrange one - play along with it and get the visit!

Other times it "finds no fault" and can hang up on you - it this happens, redial immediately and you should, at the very least, be given the option of queuing for an agent. The system also tries getting you off the phone by offering various online self-serve options or "links to online help" - don't press a thing, ignore it, wait and hold. You should be able to then queue for an agent, tell them what you've posted here, and (hopefully) they will arrange the engineer visit that you clearly need.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos