Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Remove parental control on sky channels

Hi, 

For few days now the sky channels require a pin to unlock the tv show because of the age restriction. I can unlock it with my pin but it gets really annoying to have to enter a pin everyday on these channels. 

I checked my configuration and all age restriction are unlock. All channels are umlock as well. 

Does anyone know how to unlock the Sky channels once and for all? 

I contacted Virgin via message and they explained that it is sky who put up this set up and Virgin cannot remove it on their side. 

Thank you

Dahlia

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Remove parental control on sky channels

You can't.

Sky Cinema, Sky Documentaries and Sky Comedy all show age rated shows outside of the watershed hours for those programmes. The only way they're allowed to do this is have mandatory daytime protection as set out by OFCOM

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/consultations-and-statements/category-2/mandatory-daytime-protection

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Superstar
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Dahlia,

I'm afraid you can't do that. Ofcom are to blame. 

This started to apply to Sky Atlantic, Sky Comedy and Sky Documentaries as of 17/08/20. It's the first time any non-Cinema channels have chosen to take advantage of a change* to the Ofcom-administered Broadcasting Code which came into effect in January 2019: the PIN challenge will appear when participating channels are broadcasting 'post-watershed' content before 21:00. 

Programs are now allowed to be broadcast in daytime schedules which wouldn't have been permitted before the Code change, and when these are being shown the channel will be behind the PIN screen: this PIN challenge is 'mandatory' (as defined by Ofcom) and cannot be switched off.

1.24 Provided that mandatory daytime protection is in place pre-2100 and post-0530... ...programmes that are unsuitable for children that would usually be scheduled after the watershed... ...may be broadcast on television at any time of day.

Mandatory daytime protection means there is a PIN protection system in place... ...which cannot be removed by the user and restricts access solely to those authorised to view.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It is a shame because i am 45 and live alone so no need of such restriction here 🙂 

Thank you for your answer I appreciate you taking the time. 

dahlia

0 Kudos