Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Recorded Programmes continuously freeze and unfreeze

Since 12th October I've not been able to watch recorded programmes because they keep freezing and unfreezing practically every second or two. Make them impossible to watch.

Tried contacting Virgin via social media, telephone, website and app... almost impossible to actually get any help.

Finally had a response on twitter who (I'm not joking) advised me to turn tv on and off... then post an article on here. Slightly annoyed.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recorded Programmes continuously freeze and unfreeze

I'm going to hazard a guess that your live TV is ok, but if you pause or rewind then that's also affected.

Which would suggest a failing hard drive.

You've got a few choices of how to report this, and get your box replaced.. 

1: Text message 07533 051809 which should respond in a few days

2: Wait on here for VM staff response, probably around a week.

3: Don't give up on calling 150, be persistent with plenty of patience.

There's plenty of people having problems with call queues, but many are getting through too - perhaps try calling earlier in the day.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for response. Pausing live TV seems to be okay, not had any issues. Not to say it's not the same problem. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

There's a few possibilities here.

1: You had a signal issue when programmes were recorded, but don't now. This would mean your TV signal was poor at the time you made a recording, and that means the recording is poor.

2: You have an ongoing signal issue - same as 1, but it would affect live TV now. Most signal issues tend not to go away until they're fixed.

3: You have a problem with your box's hard drive. This will affect all recorded or paused TV programmes, but live TV would be unaffected.

VOD is carried over the internet connection and is a different thing entirely.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again, I know you're only trying to be helpful and I'm genuinely grateful... However I'd rather someone from virgin resolve this technical issue instead of relying on customers to hypothesize what the issue is.

Re the matter itself, the issue can happen when I'm watching normal TV so it's a confusing one... happens frequently... Bit annoying as I have to stream programmes off my phone and project them on to my TV using a chromecast rather than just using the virgin box...

Many thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@payingcustomer1 wrote:

Thanks again, I know you're only trying to be helpful and I'm genuinely grateful... However I'd rather someone from virgin resolve this technical issue instead of relying on customers to hypothesize what the issue is.

I can appreciate that - in my post 2 above, I mentioned the 3 ways you can report your fault. VM can then do some remote checks on your equipment and decide the next step.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

1) you posted a mobile number, which I have no idea is genuine or not. I've already highlighted this to VM because it could easily be a phishing technique. Personally I don't think non-employees should be posting actions like this.

2) I've already called 150 multiple times and haven't made any progress. The last time the message told me it needed to run an update and that my TV would turn off but nothing happened.

3) I'm waiting on a moderator to respond.

Etc, etc etc

Again, I know you're only trying to be useful and I'm grateful, but I don't buy into this concept when large corporations do not offer any other mechanism to gain support - C19 is no longer an excuse.

If there were other options, which worked i'd welcome this community as an additional tool to get/share help. However this is not 'giff gaff' its a large organisation, which are not delivering a basic level of customer service.

Thanks for your help and all the best.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@payingcustomer1 wrote:

1) you posted a mobile number, which I have no idea is genuine or not. I've already highlighted this to VM because it could easily be a phishing technique. Personally I don't think non-employees should be posting actions like this.

Just for the avoidance of doubt - look at https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/accessibilityandextrasupport and scroll down to "Get in touch", and this number is listed under "text us"

If you'd prefer to wait for VM staff to respond, that's fair enough -  but it's only fair to point out that the more a post is replied to, the further down the list it can get pushed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

The Community Forums also indicate the text message number for customers on this page

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/bg-p/Digital-life 

text number.jpg

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali