Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 41 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Re: Received an email charging me for Netflix. I DO NOT HAVE A NETFLIX ACCOUNT!!!!

Hi. I'd be really grateful if you could tell me how you were able to find out what Netflix account was tied to your virgin media without your consent? Virgin won't tell me and without any information about the account Netflix are unable to help. It feels like I'm chasing my own tail (head in hands!) 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 42 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Re: Received an email charging me for Netflix. I DO NOT HAVE A NETFLIX ACCOUNT!!!!

I changed my Netflix account password and through the Netflix app on my phone, found an option to sign out of all devices (which includes the VM box I am signed into). 

Sometime later( an hour ?) while speaking with Netflix support, they got me to goto channel 204 again, and see what happens.  I was expecting to see the sign in/sign up box, but it whirled away and logged in automatically, because in the absence of a signed in session the VM box clearly asks for an associated Netflix account and it found one.  Through the menu, Get Help, you can see the signed in account details and see the email address associated with the Netflix account, which was clearly something I did not own or setup.

I gave that to Netflix support and sure enough they could see it linked to my account, so they can remove the link.

Now what they have done with it I don't know. They wanted to put another email address of mine on it so I could take control of it and cancel it, but I refused on the basis that this is nothing to do with me.  Eventually they changed the email address to something else but when I tried the auto login trick later I saw this new email address still hooked up to my account, so I am going to leave it a couple of days and if it is still there get back to Netflix again and make sure they break the link.

This should stop any future charges. As for getting recompensed for the 11.99 I have been charged which Netflix insisted had to come from VM ....

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 43 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. I don't have a tivo box I only have broadband with virgin so unfortunately that's not something I can try. Thanks you for sharing your experience though. Im going to cancell my virgin media account because that seems to be the only way to put an end to this. 

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 44 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Since my last post on this topic, I logged a complaint on VM website.  A few days later I received a call from their complaints team.  The difference was immediately obvious, as this person was listening to me rather than previous VM staff just weren't interested.

After explaining the full saga, once again, I was then told that it was not clear how this is happening, however, this person assured me that they would escalate this matter.  I pointed out that I was not alone as there are many more like me (Broadband and Phone only customer) who are suffering.

Something I was told that there had been issues with billing of some VM + Netflix accounts but my case is different as I don't have a Netflix account and I don't have a TiVo box.  Anyway, I was given reassurances that all Netflix related charges would be refunded and this should not reoccur.  I've got my doubts about that, as it would appear a charge is raised on 8th of each month for Netflix subscription.  I've had this for the last 2 months and let's see what happens in 4 days time.

I have taken additional steps to stop this happening.  First of all I've changed the VM username (different email address) and password.  Hopefully, this should detach the 'rogue' Netflix account from my VM account.

I've also been in contact with Netflix and asked them to investigate.  As I stated previously, I don't have a Netflix account, however, a week after the last charge I received an email notification that my Netflix account was ready and that I need to click on a link to activate it!!! Alarm bells started ringing immediately as I had not created this account. I took precautions and did not click on the link.  I went straight to Netflix website and clicked on password reset link and then provided my email address to have the reset link sent to.  Now I had tried this previously when the Netflix charge was applied the first time but at that time, Netflix website informed me that there was no user account for that email address.  Someone has attempted to create an account using my email address but couldn't finish the final step.  So anyway, as this time when I requested password reset email, i received one and I was then able to login to this Netflix account.  I changed the password and then checked other information but it was almost blank, with little or no info.  I informed Netflix of this and asked them to delete this account, as I didn't request it.  It just seems these companies are absolutely useless as doing anything.  After having spent over an hour on chat, I was told the account was taken out of action.  I tried to log in and it allowed me to do so!  The person tried something else and it still did not delete.  So to this date, it's still active, I think. (Sounds like a horror movie sequel!!!) 

Bottom line is Netflix are useless which is the same as VM.  There is definitely a bigger issue here and as someone else mentioned it could be possible breach of GDPR regulations, these companies are not managing customer accounts and payments in a desirable and secure method.  Surely, VM and Netflix must have identifiers for accounting purposes to show which of their accounts are connected to the other companies account.  When it comes to that there appears to be a massive black hole!!! 

Luckily for me, my VM contract is now up for renewal, which means I can leave without breaking my contract.  If there is no resolution this month then I'm surely moving on!  (To where, I don't know as the grass may seem greener with other providers, it is not without troubles!!)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Message 45 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Hi All, 

We're sorry to hear about the unexpected charge for Netflix on your Virgin Media Billing. 

We have raised this matter to our support team, who are looking into this further. 

Once we hear back from them regarding this matter, we will update this thread. 

Thanks

Mod Team

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 46 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Is there an update on this? I have just been charged for a Netflix subscription today and I do not have a Netflix account.

I've spoken to VM tech support and billing multiple times and they can't provide an explanation of how this has happened.

Billing has told me they've removed the subscription and will get back to me *if* they can remove the charge which is ridiculous. No-one has been able to explain how the subscription has been added and VM is telling me to talk to Netflix. Netflix, understandably can't help because I don't have an account with them.

Surely VM knows how the subscription was triggered?

Netflix told me they have seen this before when VM customers have sent back Tivo boxes, I sent my box back last year. VM told me it's not technically possible for the box to be given to another customer and still bill to my account, but it seems entirely possible.

The main issue right now is that VM is happy for your bill to be anonymously altered and not provide any information or support in resolving the fraudulent charges. It's extremely stressful having random fraudulent charges added to your account and having the company that has added them provide no support or explanation of how it's happened. From looking at other messages on this thread it has happened to the same people multiple times, how is this acceptable? There must be a record of how the bill was altered, and why is there no verification before adding the subscription?

Please reply with an update on the situation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 47 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Have you had any luck with this? I'm in a very similar situation where (The seemingly eager to help) Netflix can't identify the account I'm being charged for and Virgin are just shrugging their shoulders and refusing to cooperate.

It should be simple for them to check but seemingly not. They even have a specific webpage which I assume is for this purpose...

https://my.virginmedia.com/home/login-netflix-recovery 

When logging into it though it just goes through to the normal MyVirginMedia page with absolutely no mention of Netflix. Beyond dismal.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 48 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately to date I've had no luck at all. If you email the virgin complaints department they are more helpful than the call centre staff however! They will tell you they have removed Netflix but in fact it will remain on your account and you will still be charged. You will also without your knowledge or consent have extra time added on to your contract. Absolutely fantastic ay! Virgin you are a disgusting company allowing your customers to be victims of fraud and providing no help at all. Because of the covid 19 situation its hard to sort anything out but I'm going to have to go down the route of taking legal action to stop the Netflix charges by the looks of it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 49 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I've tried to contact Virgin in every possible way but they have refused to do anything about it. I won't be renewing my contract.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 50 of 72
Flag for a moderator

Terrible isnt it. I wonder if raising the issue with the bank would be of any help as virgin are fraudulently taking money for the Netflix charges without our consent for a service we don't even receive. 

0 Kudos