Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Power surge

Hi

has anyone’s tv stopped working after a storm, my last tv lost all its hdmi ports after a storm and now my new one which is not even a year old has stopped working completely after a storm last night, my new v6 box is also not working, no signal coming out of it. Can I get any compensation, I also live in Wales and are under a lock down so I can’t even take it back to curry’s. 

thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Power surge

VM are not responsible for your electricity supply so you would not be entitled to compensation from them.  AFAIK the only compensation OFGEM guarantee is for power cuts not surges.  Your home insurance policy might cover it.

If you have lost two TVs to surges then you need to consider getting your wiring looked at and protecting your equipment.  I would have done this after the first TV was damaged.  Personally I have all my kit, TV, PC, PS4, surround sound amp, VM Hub and TV box, etc plugged into either battery backup or surge protected sockets like this:

be400i_large.jpg

You would need to report the V6 box failure to VM by calling 150 from a VM landline or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone.  Calling at 8am on weekdays seems to be best.

If you can't get through on the phone then VM are recommending you send a text to 07533 051809 describing the issue and you should get a response, but it may take a day or two at present. This is a text only service, it does not support voice calls.  
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Digital-life/When-and-how-to-use-our-messaging-service/ba-p/425... 

Or you can wait for one of the forum team to get to this thread, which usually also takes a few days.

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

does that surge protector work for the coax cable. I’ve got surge protectors in the house but not on the coax coming in the house, I think that’s why the storm only damaged the v6 box and what was connected to it, I have an engineer calling on Wednesday. 
thanks for your help 

Phil

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It wouldn't work for the coax cable, it only protects from surges via the power sockets. I have never experienced a surge via the coax cable.

If it was a surge via the VM cable then it could be classed in some way as their fault, they should have surge protectors in place, but good luck proving that and getting any compensation from them.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

All incoming coax cables should have an safety isolator fitted in the wall box. If this blows due to a surge you won’t get any signal from the network.

Lightning damage is classed as an “act of god” by utility companies, so while most house contents insurers usually have a clause that pays out, you won’t get compensation from Virgin.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

oh no. lightning blew up everything 😄

0 Kudos