Menu
Snoopdog
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Poor reception - intermittent pixelisation / blocking

This has been going on for days, and there's stuff I want to watch without annoyance.

Currently a problem on 515 Sky Sports Golf. Also on 118 ITV4. Maybe others too.

A few weeks ago we had days of same on 521 / 522 Eurosport 1 and 2. This was fixed after a few days.

I have tried 150 phone, but life is too short to wait to speak. I understand these are Covid days.

Surely you can check the signal quality at the street cabinet where I think you will find an issue.

I have previously had an engineer around for similar (maybe 2 years ago), who insisted on making measurements in my house before going to the street cabinet where he could see a problem.

I spend over 100 per month (not including mobile), so would like some service.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor reception - intermittent pixelisation / blocking

Assuming you've restarted the box once, pixellation as you describe is a classic symptom of signal issues. The channels you've listed are spread across a few different broadcast frequencies, so I'd expect there to be others affected that you may not realise - for example, Sky Sports Golf shares with (amongst others) ITV3 SD, W-SD & ITV3+1 SD

You can call 0800 5610061 to check if there's any known issues in your local area, but if nothing's reported then you really do need to call 150 and be patient.

It's quite likely you will need an engineer visit, as you are guessing

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Snoopdog
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your prompt response.

I did the mains off and total restart. No change, as expected.

I called the 0800 number for area issues. They say: "No TV issues".

Are you working for VM? A few years ago, I posted a TiVo box problem on here. A few hours later, I received a phone call saying someone would stop by the house with a new TiVo box which fixed the problem. That was great service.

Isn't the signal quality on each multiplex channel at each street cabinet auto-monitored with a reverse alarm?

As for calling 150, I tried it a couple of days ago and concluded I may die before before getting through. Surely in these Covid days, email is the way to go.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

VM certainly monitor as far as each street cabinet, yes. But the nature of signal issues are that they can often affect single users (or occasionally pockets of users), and individual customer boxes are not proactively monitored. If customers call in with faults, then remote checks can certainly be done.

This is one reason why, unless single users report service faults, there is a very good chance VM don't know about them. And VM have never had email contact methods.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Snoopdog
Tuning in
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

LOts more channels pixellating, eg 108 BBC-HD, 609 Bloomberg.

It seems my signal is very marginal.

0 Kudos
Snoopdog
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

The 150 number says I'll have to wait approx 1 hour for an answer to my call !!!

The service status says no known faults.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Are you using the web status checker or the telephone one?

The online service status is good for major faults that affect thousands of customers. Pixellation and signal issues, by their nature, are very localised - and the online status is next to useless for this. Calling 0800 5610061 will list the more local issues, often down to postcode/street level.

0 Kudos
Snoopdog
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I've done both. Same answer.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

In which case you can safely assume VM don't know about your fault.

That will only change when you report it to them 🙂

0 Kudos
Snoopdog
Tuning in
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pixellation issues

Same problem here! I'm in Waterbeach, Cambridge.

I have a series of posts from about a month ago on this issue. The day after my last post, everything was better. But, as of about a week ago, it's all back again.

Here are some good and bad channels:

Bad: 102, 108, 607, 515, 517

Good: 613, 511

I'm paying over 100 per month for an uwatchable picture, and can't speak to anybody on the phone about it.

0 Kudos