Menu
Matt0408
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Poor picture quality

Hi. My picture quality is very poor particularly sky sports and sky movies in HD. They look SD at best. The engineer mentioned problems with the “levels” when he installed a month or so back but said he rectified them. I’ve put up with it thus far but seems even worse lately. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor picture quality

When you say poor picture quality, are you talking about picture breakup/pixellation? That's a classic symptom of a signal fault somewhere?

Or is this something else that could potentially be caused by your video settings? In which case, can you post details of your TV setup and what your TiVo/V6 (which one?) video output settings are on? You can find these in Help & Settings > Settings > VIdeo output

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Matt0408
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi. Thanks for the reply. 

yes poor pixelation ... nowhere near as sharp as HD content through Netflix, prime, YouTube etc. 

I have changed the output settings before with no success. I currently have it on 2160p and 2160 pass through along with 1080p clicked. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If you're able to stream from your apps with decent HD output, that proves your video output and does suggest an issue with your live TV feed then.

Are there any specific channels that you don't think are as they should be? You've not mentioned what TV you have, but 1080p pass-through can also be beneficial to select.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Matt0408
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hiya. 

LG 4K 55sm9010. Good quality TV. 

it’s mainly sky sports I notice it on as that’s what I mainly use virgin for. In particular Sky Sports main event / premier league / football. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

You've not said whether these are the HD variants or not, but I'll assume they are. In the case of Sky Football HD, can you also check (Package dependent)...

Sky Thriller HD, Sky Sports Action HD, Animal Planet HD, More4 HD & Sky Documentaries HD

These channels are broadcast on the same frequency as Sky Sports Football HD, so if you have a signals issue then these channels would also be affected.

0 Kudos
Matt0408
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks for help. 

yes they are HD. The others a poor too not sharp like HD should be. 

is this a common problem do you know? I’ve been trying to contact virgin however it’s proving very difficult at the minute. Do you think they’ll send an engineer out?

thanks again 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Picture breakup is a service fault that's nearly always caused by a cabling problem or faulty box, and yes - that's a service call out except where a faulty box can bre replaced & installed using self-service methods.

Without seeing a video or picture of your symptoms, it still sounds a little like a "picture quality" issue, which is generally fixable by tweaking the video settings or changing HDMI cable/socket.

Upscaling an SD channel to larger screen TVs is bound to highlight a lack of detail in the picture. I can only suggest you call faults C/S on 150 (or 0345 4541111) or wait for forum staff to pick this thread up, and see if they can identify any issues with your box remotely.

0 Kudos
HavencroftKev
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I too have notice poor quality picture on Sky Sports. It is not pixilation it is just poor quality picture on the HD channels. in fact it isn't to dissimilar to the SD channels. This has only been the case since for the last 2 weeks or so.

0 Kudos
HavencroftKev
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@japitts for me the problem is worse with live broadcasts, the quality defiantly drops. it's no way near as good as it used to be.
0 Kudos