Menu
-Matt-
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Poor picture quality on BBC1 (SD) local news.

The picture quality on local news broadcasts seems to be even worse than usual today.

There is a black bar down the left side of the screen and the picture is very blurry. (Far worse than usual SD broadcasts).

Furthermore it continues to be annoying to always have to switch from BBC1 HD over to BBC1 SD in order to get local news. Why can't Virgin Media offer separate HD channels for BBC1 regions? (Or if this takes up too much bandwidth - why not broadcast only the local version in HD)?

0 Kudos
-Matt-
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Poor picture quality on BBC1 (SD) local news.

(My region is South - if that makes any difference).

0 Kudos
Mr_Pringle
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The problem with all SD channels on Virgin is that they are recompressed from MPEG2 on satellite to MPEG4. They have been through video compression twice. To me, the SD channels are all totally unwatchable.

The HD channels are natively MPEG4, compressed only once.

BBC1 regions are not available in HD on satellite or Freeview either.

0 Kudos
Gaz82
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Apart from local news, are there any other regionally different programmes these days?

I'm in the South too and since Meridian has switched to HD for our region, I've tended to use this channel for regional news.

I can't even remember the last time I watched BBC One in SD on 101!

0 Kudos
-Matt-
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

>> "Apart from local news, are there any other regionally different programmes these days?"

It is only the regional news that I'd want.

>> "BBC1 regions are not available in HD on satellite or Freeview either."

This is probably the 'source' of the problem. Although the picture quality seems rather better on iplayer. Probably because it is not subject to the multiple conversions that Mr_Pringle mentions.

However, the black bar down the left leads me to question whether the correct resolution is being used for the Virgin media stream.

0 Kudos
Mr_Pringle
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

A visible black bar down just one side (left) does sound like a fault. Can you post a photo perhaps?
0 Kudos
-Matt-
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Perhaps the edge bar size is a bit of a diversion from the main topic (which was the poor image quality of regional news broadcasts) but here you go...

These were taken during the BBC 1 national weather and show the difference in bar size on SD vs HD:

Compare left bar size on SD and HD broadcasts of BBC weatherCompare left bar size on SD and HD broadcasts of BBC weather

0 Kudos