Menu
Cathie-Tony
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Pixellation problem mostly on recordings on TiVo

We have been getting the pixellation problem for many months (years?), but it mostly applies to recordings of shows.  Quality is generally OK during transmission or with Catchup, but recordings have recently become virtually unwatchable. Simple logic would say it's something to do with playback from storage, but I'm not sure it works like that. 

We have tried the full menu of switching off, unplugging, checking the cables and even unplugging and re-booting every day, but the breakups continue.  As has already been mentioned by others, ITV recordings are notorious. 

What remedies have other members found to be effective?

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Pixellation problem mostly on recordings on TiVo

Your simple logic is potentially spot-on. If live TV viewing is ok, and only playback of recorded (or paused/delayed TV) is affected, this can indicate a problem with your box's hard drive. That would though, affect all recordings and not particular channels. CatchUp and other OnDemand shows are carried over the internet and not via your TV signal, so they would also be unaffected.

The remedy is the same, call VM: 150 from a landline, or 0345 4541111 and follow the options for "I have a fault with my TV service".

Another option you may have is, and I'm assuming you've had your current package for a while and therefore probably have the older TiVo box (check here)- if you also have VM broadband (which is a requirement), consider looking at your existing package and potentially renegotiating it to a newer one. If you're happy re-contracting for 12/18 months, you may be able to bag a boxswap to the newer V6 into the deal.

The faults process will be your course, regardless.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Cathie-Tony
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I now have some information to pass on to the Community from my direct experience of trying to get the breakup fixed. 

I called the helpline and, after the usual interminable wait listening to that awful music, a lady by the name of Sheering spoke to me.  She took all the details of my complaint and checked that I had done this and that and whether it had made any difference.  In the end she told me that it would all be fixed within 48 hours.  So Cathie and I made some recordings in the following week and checked them for pixellation - no difference.  If anything, it was getting worse and the live programmes were now no better than the recordings.  So far as we could tell, the recordings were picking up the breakups of the programmes. It was no better in the second week, so I called Virgin again.

This time I got a chap called Ray who asked me all the same questions and seemed to know what was to be done, but then went off for a smoke as he put me on hold, and after a delay of fifteen minutes a Mr Raquesh came on the line who asked me the same questions all over again.  When I asked why we were going through all this for the third time he told me that the first person had not been clear in her report as to what the problem was!  From this I figured that nothing had been done 'within 48 hours', on top of which Mr Raquesh said I would have to call yet again after 48 hours if there were no improvements! 

The upshot of the conversation that followed this revelation was that Virgin would do nothing about my complaint until I had raised the same complaint three times in twenty days - with at least 48 hours between each one.  At that stage it would be escalated and someone would be assigned to fix the problem.  This, he told me, was the 'protocol' they all worked to. 

Is this general knowledge?  It's no wonder that the lines are always busy: it's clogged with people having to call a second and a third time to get the problem fixed. 

0 Kudos
Cathie-Tony
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

For those of you who are following this continuing saga of trying to get my TV reception fixed, here is the next chapter:

The way we had left it on Monday was that I was to call Virgin Media after 48 hours if the problem had not improved (how would that happen?) and it would be escalated to the next level.  When I complained that I would have to take another day off work while I waited for my call to get through, Mr Raquesh said I could call from the office as I would not need to be home with the TV at that stage. 

Today, Wednesday, as I was bracing myself to make the next call, I got a call from Ms Tejashree who told me she had been assigned to my case.  She then started to go through the usual questions and asked me what was wrong with my reception, but I asked her to tell me what the previous service people had entered as their description of my problem.  She told me that all they had entered was that I was getting no picture and that the screen was blank!  After expressing some frustration, I went through the description of the picture breakup and how it affected all channels and recordings.  She then asked me if the set was switched on as her monitor was showing that it was switched off, to which I replied that I had previously been told that this call was just a formality and that I could make it from the office.  Not so, it seems!  So I went home and swiched on the TV and waited for her return call. 

This time the service lady said she checked the box and could see that it had three red lights showing, which indicated that someone would need to pay us a visit and check the box in situ.  The visit has been arranged for this Friday afternoon. 

Watch this space!

0 Kudos
Lee_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cathie-Tony, thanks for posting and I sincerely apologise for the delay in responding.

I am really sorry you're having ongoing issues with your TV service.  It sounds as though it's becoming unwatchable.  I would like to help you resolve this.  To enable me to do so, I am going to send you a private message.  Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

0 Kudos