Menu
duncansay
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Pixelation - sort it out Virgin

I am really fed up with the continuing pixelation problems on my Tivo box. I reset it and within a day the pixelation comes back on both the tv and recorded programmes. I guess the Tivo box is pretty old now but the pixelation must be caused by the signal and is worse on the HD channels where I guess the higher bandwidth required causes problems. 

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pixelation - sort it out Virgin

.... and what did Virgin Media do when you called in to report your issue?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@duncansay wrote:

I am really fed up with the continuing pixelation problems on my Tivo box. I reset it and within a day the pixelation comes back on both the tv and recorded programmes. I guess the Tivo box is pretty old now but the pixelation must be caused by the signal and is worse on the HD channels where I guess the higher bandwidth required causes problems. 

And how would Virgin know you have this problem? They cannot directly monitor your connection or equipment in your home for faults unless you call them & ask. If they were monitoing that equipment without your permission I am sure there would be many complaints.

If a problems persistes for more than a week & there are no area faults then ring customer services. They can run a series of tests remotely.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
duncansay
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

So far, it has been referred. Because (of course) despite having reset the box every day for the last month. That apparently is not enough to get someone to actually come out and have a look.

0 Kudos
duncansay
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Also isn't it time that they made some comment about this fairly common problem in the FAQs.

0 Kudos
duncansay
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

And I believe I did contact them a couple of months ago and we went through this procedure that got nowhere then.

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Read again the correct advice by the two contributors above.
0 Kudos
duncansay
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Just so you understand my reason for commenting is not the 'procedure' it is the fact that

1) it did not work two months ago.

2) The FAQs are strangely quiet about pixelation. Unlike the forums.

And maybe it is time that Virgin came clean rather than hiding away.  Virgin need to sort out their response to this problem for everyone.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Remember that VM has ~5 million TV subscribers and there are relatively few complaints about pixellation - so its not actually that common a problem.

Quickie - have you tried using a new high quality, high speed, HDMI cable?
And also, other HDMI ports on the TV?

If so, as said call it in and they will check your Tivo's connection.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@duncansay wrote:

Just so you understand my reason for commenting is not the 'procedure' it is the fact that

1) it did not work two months ago.

2) The FAQs are strangely quiet about pixelation. Unlike the forums.

And maybe it is time that Virgin came clean rather than hiding away.  Virgin need to sort out their response to this problem for everyone.

EVERY digital platform has issues with pixelation if there are signal problems, be it a connection to a Satellite dish, TV Aerial or a cable connection. All connections deteriorate over time & it is a common failure mode. You may buy a car but it will eventually start to rust, no matter what you do to prevent it.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993