Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Pixelation problem

We’ve been getting Intermittent pixelation problems for 2 weeks. It can be fine all day then usually gets worse at night. It affects channels randomly and recordings. 

We had a virgin technician out today who couldn’t identify any fault but did change all the cables. Sods law it was fine during the visit but tonight, picture started to breakup again & is unwatchable.

We have a V6 box & live in Derby. Anyone else having problems? I’m not sure what to do next apart from go back to Sky. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Pixelation problem

Having the service working when an engineer is on-site, and break after.... ouch indeed.

The easy answer is to simply say that you will need another faults callout, and you probably do - if they've changed your cables, then possibly there's another fault somewhere else.

You say it affects channels randomly, but there will be logic to this, as channels are not broadcast according to their EPG/TV Guide positions.

Would you be able identify any specific (including HD/SD?) channels that are particularly bad?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Picture was fine until 9pm

When we changed over to channel 5 that was unwatchable- whole picture pixelated & sound also distorted. 
We checked the major channels bbc 1, 2 itv - they were all ok initially but when we returned back to check they too had gone. 
I’m not sure if it’s got something to do with rewind pause process ? 
I’ll call virgin again today but we’re pretty fed up of it now. We are paying for a service that we can’t watch . 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Checked this morning- HD channels 5, sky one , sky witness are all pixelated . 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

The reason I asked was that channels are broadcast in "clusters" on the same frequency, and so a signal fault on a particular frequency will affect all channels on that cluster - those "groups" are totally unrelated to EPG positions.

Channel 5 HD is grouped with S4C HD, Film 4 HD, Sky History 2 HD, Sky Sports NFL HD, Sky Sports F1 HD, Star Plus HD

Sky One HD is grouped with BT Sport ESPN HD, Sky Disney HD, Sky Premier HD, BT Sport 1 HD & Liverpool FC TV.

If multiple channels on the same broadcast mux are affected, it can lend particularly strong weight to a signal fault.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for explaining. 

So our problem affects all channel’s. I can’t get through to Virgin this morning. I’ll try again tomorrow. 

I will go back to Sky if they can’t resolve this. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Contacted virgin and they arranged another technician to come out but in the meantime I noticed a virgin can down our road at the cable box and since then the problem has resolved. 

0 Kudos