Menu
pault1954
Joining in
Message 11 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Re: Picture quality

We are still having problems with pixelation on certain channels, last night bbc2 was particularly bad . So no the problem hasn't been solved and our complaint has also been unanswered. The complaint was made 10 days ago. So what do we do now. Make another complaint about the unanswered complaint?

0 Kudos
Hetty_R
Forum Team Manager
Forum Team Manager
Message 12 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Again apologies for this experience. 

I have sent you a private message so we can look into this for you. 

Look forward to hearing from you, 

Hetty_R
0 Kudos
Nigel_F
Dialled in
Message 13 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I am having the exact same issue. I thought it was my TV settings had changed, but they are fine. I am seeing motion blur and skipped frames and also more recently moire patterns that I have not seen before. These are mainly on the terrestrial channels like BBC One HD and ITV HD. If I watch Netflix or Amazon Prime on my smart TV over the Virgin broadband the picture is perfect. I am wondering if Virgin are compressing the TV streams to reduce bandwidth.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 14 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Short answer, no - Virgin aren't compressing HD channels to save bandwidth. If anything, they're doing the opposite.

Daft question, but have you tried a different HDMI cable from your TiVo to the TV, to eliminate that?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Nigel_F
Dialled in
Message 15 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I have tried a different HDMI cable - same result. I also get the odd green flash and a very brief band of pixelation at times when watching back recorded programs. While I used to get some motion blur on cutting between scenes with moving objects (common on Samsung TVs) it has recently got a lot worse and this moire pattern started to happen also. I don't get this at all on any other sources, only the V6 box.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 16 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Others are far more familiar with the V6 (I use a TiVo still), but I'm wondering if your box has had a software update of some kind and/or something's changed in your video output settings.

Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Video/Output - what are they set to? I've read on here that 2160 sometimes doesn't give the greatest result and that letting the V6 upscale to 1080 but the TV beyond that, tends to give good results.

It may also be helpful to other V6 users on here if you post your TV make/model.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Nigel_F
Dialled in
Message 17 of 26
Flag for a moderator

TV is QE49Q7CAM

V6 Video output was set to 2160. I have dropped to 1080p to see if that is any better.
0 Kudos
JatBains
Tuning in
Message 18 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Im using virgin tv go app and bt sport 3 and espn has poor picture quality. Im using a macbook. How can i fix this?

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 19 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi JatBains

Is it just BT Sport3 and ESPN that are poor picture quality 

Have you tried if possible these channels on another device 

Are you on our network?

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
JatBains
Tuning in
Message 20 of 26
Flag for a moderator

yes its only those channels and i'm on your network, i have tried it on other devices but its the same quality. however a ticket has been raised on my account so its should be fixed in 4 working days.

0 Kudos