Menu
ML56580
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Picture blocking

I have had blocking and pixelation of picture for ages now  - it seems especially prevalent on sports channels for some reason but occurs everywhere but not however  when l watch TV via iPlayer or Netflix on app. I have recently had a Virgin test for a month that monitored my broadband speed which deemed that my speed did not fall below minimum for more than 3 days in a row? That doesn't seem much of a satisfactory  test to me, as presumably it could fall below the mininum for  2 days in a row 8 or 9 times in 30 days and still pass the test!

I am particularly peeved with this problem for two reasons i) l have recently purchased a new high-end Sony TV, renewed all the HDMI cables and checked internal connections + numerous system reboots all to no avail. ii) l renewed my contract within Virgin back in September after a call from them. I reiterated my ongoing  problem and was told my equipment would be checked and the problem addressed and resolved. On that basis l accepted a new 18 month contract. There are numerous posts that lay the blame with the Tivo box for this type of issue and a replacement will extinguish the fault so is this what l should be requesting? Any help or suggestions appreciated  Thanks 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Picture blocking

Assuming you've restarted your box once, pixellation is indicative of a signal issue which is a fault. Your streaming apps (Netflix, iPlayer, OnDemand etc) are carried over the internet and won't be affected by this.

Call 0800 5610061 first, to check there isn't a known area fault that could be causing this. When you reported this back in September, the correct course of action from VM should have been either a box replacement or (far more likely) an engineer visit to investigate your kit & cabling. Anything else is just kicking the can down the road. There are some basic remote checks that can be done, but anything beyond that needs physical "hands and eyes" on your kit, cabling & potentially street cabinet.

Were either of these suggested and/or offered?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
ML56580
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thanks mate.

Yes l did discuss new equipment with the guy because he said he would check my kit online and if it was showing faults replace it. That was one of the reasons l renewed. Unfortunately this was during lockdown and this guy, Kamal, was working from home  so tracking him down would be nigh impossible + there is no chance that call would have been recorded. There are no current faults in my area so l guess my next step is to get back on the phone to VM again!

• The downside of that appears to be (from reading other posts regarding new boxes) that alot of the new kit has issues as well and l could be jumping from the frying pan etc ... My best hope is that it's a cabling or other outside issue.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@ML56580 wrote:
  • The downside of that appears to be (from reading other posts regarding new boxes) that alot of the new kit has issues as well and l could be jumping from the frying pan etc ... My best hope is that it's a cabling or other outside issue.

You're probably reading about the new V360 TV platform, which is a different beast to TiVo which runs the TiVo & V6 boxes. V360 is in its infancy, in the grand scheme of things.

If you've got a TiVo/V6 now, then this is still fully supported and will remain so for quite some time.

But yes, call your fault in. Home visits for TV-only faults are a bit naughty under lockdown-rules, but I'm not aware of any stoppage on box replacements.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks