Menu
Mandy369
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Picture Quality Awful

The picture quality from my Tivo box has been awful at times for the passed month. Sometimes I can’t even watch it as it locks up, pixelates and I lose sound.

My neighbour has had the same problem and reported to VirginMedia. An engineer arrived yesterday and told him it was a network error as too many people were watching TV at the same time!! He also didn’t look as his equipment as said there was no point. Is this correct? I pay good money to Virgin each month to receive a substandard service because ‘too many people are watching TV at the same time’! 

I was advised to try a new HDMI cable, which I did. Made no difference though. 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Picture Quality Awful

Firstly, the stock answer... pixellation, more often than not, is a symptom of poor TV signal. Reboot the box once, if that doesn't resolve, then there's a fault somewhere that VM need to deal with. That could be your box, some cabling, or all manner of bits in-between.

@Mandy369 wrote:

My neighbour has had the same problem and reported to VirginMedia. An engineer arrived yesterday and told him it was a network error as too many people were watching TV at the same time!!

There's a word for this: Nonsense. Other, less pleasant alternatives are available 🙂

Your TV channels are carried over a "broadcast" based system - the "engineer" could also suggest, by the same argument, that FM radio breaks up if too many people are listening at the same time.

Where there could be some confusion, is that OnDemand & streaming services are carried over the internet - which can potentially struggle if there isn't enough bandwidth to carry the data. But I wouldn't expect that to manifest as pixellation, but rather buffering.

The "engineer" may be meaning there was an area fault affecting multiple users, but those tend to generally be resolved in a few weeks at worst. Not months, except in extremely rare circumstances.

Was this tech visit recent?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Mandy369
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The advice I was given was to replace the HDMI cable (at my own expense). My neighbour was told just yesterday it was a problem because too many people were watching TV!

I was watching a live programme so not streaming or ‘on-demand’.

To be honest, I’m pretty **bleep**ed off as you can imagine as I’ve literally been advised my bill is now going up £3.50 a month. If genuinely seems Virgin don’t care anymore. Having been with them 23 years and never had any problems, I feel pretty angry with their recent (lack of) help.

I've rebooted about 20 times in the last month, it never makes any difference. I just wish someone at Virgin cared about us customers still.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Mandy369 wrote:

The advice I was given was to replace the HDMI cable (at my own expense). My neighbour was told just yesterday it was a problem because too many people were watching TV!

Your neighbour has cause for complaint! I would occasionally expect this nonsense from (particularly offshore) C/S staff, but field engineers should, frankly, know better.

@Mandy369 wrote:

I've rebooted about 20 times in the last month, it never makes any difference. I just wish someone at Virgin cared about us customers still.

One reboot is sufficient to eliminate box gremlins. If the symptoms return, there's a fault and endless reboots won't change that.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mandy369

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community. 

I am very sorry to hear of the TV issues. I'll be happy to assist you now with this. Upon checking the account, two of the three tuners are out of spec. This needs a technician visit.

I'll PM you now to arrange

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

0 Kudos