Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

On Demand constantly drops

I'm having constant issues with on demand and streaming services.  There are no issues if I watch,  for example,  Netflix via my Xbox but if I try to access the same programs via the TiVo box it simply won't connect.  I just get an error 'we're experiencing difficulties' or 'show temporarily unavailable (code 608)' or similar.   I cannot access any programmes via catch up,  on demand,  Netflix,  Amazon Prime etc. 

I have no issues with broadband in general.

If I reset both box and router I find I can access on demand services for a day or two but then it drops out again.  A diagnostic check shows no issues.  I've tried changing screen resolution,  WiFi frequency,  connecting the TiVo both wirelessly and hard wired,  changed the HDMI port on the TV and nothing helps. 

Oddly,  YouTube works absolutely fine all the time via the TiVo box! 

VM have been completely useless and either don't respond to my issues, say there is nothing wrong,  or reboot the system which of course fixes the issue but only for a day,  then it comes back again. 

Help! 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: On Demand constantly drops

I'm going to assume you have a TiVo and not a V6 box... If you're not sure, check here 

This could all be indicative that your box's inbuilt internet connection is failing. On the front-left of the box there's a series of green lights, the second-from-left has a painted heart logo next to it and indicates your "online"/internet status. Is it solid or flashing?

As a side note, if you use apps on your TiVo a lot, and also have VM broadband, you could do a lot worse than consider a swapout to a V6 box that is a lot newer and handles apps a lot better. If you've had your current package for a long time, then re-negotiating it and arranging a box-swap in return for a new 12/18 month contract, could be worth some thought.

A fault swapout of your TiVo for another TiVo shouldn't be an issue if necessary.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Apologies its a V6! 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ok - how is your V6 connected to your homehub, Ethernet cable is best but WiFi can work if the signal's strong enough.

If you follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, what is reported in the top-right?

Many V6 connectivity issues are caused by flaky or poor WiFi connections.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have tried both wireless and hard wired and neither fixes the issue.  I do not belieive it is the issue as YouTube works flawlessly via the V6 box.  It only affects on demand TV. 

Diagnostics reports that there are no issues with my system. I am currently running the HMDI through my Sony receiver but even I try a direct connection between the V6 and the TV it doesn't work. 

I'm close to going back to Sky at this point. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If you follow Home > Help & Settings > Settings > Network, what is reported in the top-right?

If you are using WiFi, this will report the signal strength.

When you say that diagnostics have detected no problems, what diagnostics are they? Can you be specific?

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Signal is 100% (excellent).  No surprise as the two units are approx 50cm apart! 

If I test my connection using network Diagnostics it reports 'test successful'.

The port config test says that a number of ports need to be opened on my router.  Is this significant? 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Ukmoley wrote:

Signal is 100% (excellent).  No surprise as the two units are approx 50cm apart! 

Ok, but we see many cases on these boards where this isn't the case and marginal signal strength is unearthed - at least now you've said so 🙂

@Ukmoley wrote:

The port config test says that a number of ports need to be opened on my router.  Is this significant? 

No, that often fails on perfectly working systems, mine included. So you can ignore that. Only thing to check, are you using your VM Superhub as a router, or is it in modem mode with your own third-party router?

WiFi interference is a possibility but would need the use of a PC to sensibly diagnose. Has this box ever used VOD reliably, and this problem has only recently started?

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Using it as a router in the standard way.  It has been an issue for months.  I have to reboot everything,  then it works for a day or two,  then it goes down again.

A reboot of the two boxes nearly always sorts it for a short period.

I can't say for sure if it has been a problem from the word go as we've only recently been watching a lot more VOD. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ukmoley, 

Really sorry you're having some issues with On Demand and for the delay in getting back in touch, we have been busier than normal. 

I've tried to have a look at the back end of things from here and everything is showing as fine with your internet connection but I've been unable to run any checks on the box as it's showing as off. 

Is this the case or is it in standby mode? Could you switch it on and let me know when this has been done so I can help further? 

Thanks. 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos